addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Burn It or Buy It Books Message Board › Catching Fire Discussion Questions

Catching Fire Discussion Questions

Bonnie
user 11537602
Group Organizer
Saint Paul, MN
Here are the discussion questions for tomorrow night's Meetup at Chatterbox. I've been trying to wait patiently for this for what seems like forever. Well, it's finally here and I can't wait to discuss it with you! See you all soon!

Bonnie

Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins (2009)

1. What do you think of President Snow? What do you think he meant when he said, "I believe you. It doesn't matter. Your stylist turned out to be prophetic in his wardrobe choice. (page 23)." How does President Snow's visit affect Katniss's plans to leave District 12?

2. Katniss character in general is very wishy-washy. She can't decide: Who do I love? Should I fight? Did your feelings about you view Katniss change at all throughout this book compared with how you felt about her in the first book?

3. How does Katniss react when she sees Gale being beaten? Why is this dangerous for her, her family, and Gale?

4. How do you feel about the information that Katniss learns in the forest? Do you believe the two people? Does Katniss? Is there any information to support Bonnie and Twill's comments?

5. We finally learned about Haymitch and his experience in the arena. What was different about his year as a tribute? Does knowing some of Haymitch's background change your opinion of him or justify some of his habits?

6. Haymitch asks Katniss and Peeta to form an alliance with the other tributes. At the time you read it, did you think this was a good idea given what you knew about thier first Hunger Games? Which tributes did you think Katniss & Peeta should have formed an alliance with?

7. What did Cinna turn Katniss into during her interview? At the time, what did you think would happen to Cinna? Would you have acted like Cinna even if you would have to risk punishment?

8. Do you think having everyone thinking that Katniss is pregnant will work in her advantage or in the end, will it backfire on her and Peeta? Do you think that detail was necessary or excessive?

9. Once you learned about Wireless' Clock Theory, did you think those tributes had a better chance of survival? Of the Twelve hourly sections, which section provided the worst outcome or most torment for those inside it?

10. How does Peeta and Katniss's relationship grow towards the end of the book?

11. What is the twist at the end of the book? Were you surprised? Did your predictions change about the outcome as the story got closer to the ending? What do you think will happen in the last book of the Hunger Games trilogy?

12. Does Katniss have a right to be upset with Haymitch? How would you feel?

13. We talked about Katniss being a weaker character who waivers between who she should love and if she should save the people. Did she redeem her character with you by the end of the book? Which book did you ultimately prefer?

14. If a friend asked about Catchin Fire would you tell them to Burn It or Buy It?