addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Silicon Valley Business of Engineering Social Meetup Message Board › 400 Female and Underrepresented STEM Students Need Help!

400 Female and Underrepresented STEM Students Need Help!

A former member
Post #: 1
Dear Members:

I am contacting you today to ask you to become a mentor for students studying science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) or to pass along this information to anyone you think could help. By mentoring 15 minutes a week via email, you can make a difference in the life of a student.

MentorNet.net is a non-profit e-Mentoring community dedicated to helping women and underrepresented minorities stay on track in their degree programs. Their goal is to diversify the global workforce in STEM fields and level the playing field for these students.

As of today, we have matched 28,512 students with professionals in the STEM fields. Reports show that 92% of students remain in their STEM fields for at least 3 years after participating in the mentoring program.

Currently there are 400 STEM female and underrepresented students that need a mentor and they cannot keep up with the demand due to the lack of mentors. The students need our help! By spending 15 minutes a week via email, you can help a student graduate and prepare for a career in a STEM related field.

“I learned many things the hard way as I became an engineer. It feels good to know that I can pass those lessons to the next generation in a less painful way.”
- Karen Smith, Mentor, Salt River Project

Visit: www.mentornet.net/mentor.aspx­ to become a mentor and start making a difference.

Thank You,
Gary Yip
Stephen
user 8794520
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 5
Gary, do they want a person to be female or a minority in order to be a mentor?