addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › Has militant atheism become a religion?

Has militant atheism become a religion?

A former member
Post #: 3
A former member
Post #: 145

Has militant atheism become a religion?

I didn't even realize there were armed atheist militias, not to mention that they're getting outrageously large tax benefits. It's news to me. Unless this is just a bunch of overhyped misuse of words to draw attention.
A former member
Post #: 21
No.
Joan C.
user 34925662
Eugene, OR
Post #: 3
Now I'm really confused. Re: the original question: Does this mean "militant" atheists as in armed militia, or "militant" as in aggressively proselytizing?

"Religion" seems to connote belief in the supernatural; wouldn't atheism as a religion be an oxymoron?
Max
MaxLikesFacts
Eugene, OR
Post #: 9
Militant atheism is misleading language meant to strike a negative connotation. So-called militant atheists are not, in fact, militant. A better word might be outspoken. But, I'm confused about the motivations of this question? No form of atheism could possibly be a religion, as it is defined as the absence of faith in any god or gods, demi-gods, or centrally placed human prophets. By my own understanding of the word religion, all world religions have faith in at least one of these. Of course, we all have an idea of the intended meaning of "militant atheist". But, let us consider. Did not all atheists at some point decide that the concept of truth was important. If not, why insist that we're atheists, at all (since it evokes negative reactions all around us). Did we not realize that beliefs are enormously important, that they set the stage for our actions, and that, of course, actions have consequences. So, what is the alternative to a so-called "militant atheist"? Is it an atheist who stays quiet? who never speaks up? who never questions his friends or family about their beliefs? Honestly, if this question was actually asked by a self-proclaimed atheist, I wonder exactly how they ever arrived at their atheism, without going through at least some of these processes. Reason is a process. And any atheist who does not apply that process in a social setting is essentially a coward who cares more about social decorum than they do about accurate approximations of Truth. Everyone represents their belief system to the outside world, if not with words, then with actions. If an atheist does it, though, they're Militant. When a Christian does it they're witnessing? I simply cannot comprehend how this question was asked by an atheist.