addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cleveland Web Design and Development Meetup Message Board Classes › Announcing Free PHP & MySQL Course

Announcing Free PHP & MySQL Course

Closed to new replies

Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Alright folks, all of the pieces are in place, so we're going to start our Free PHP & MySQL course. Please read all of the following completely, to make sure you have all of the details.

Here is the course information:

Course Name: Learning HTML & CSS with O'Reilly's "Head First PHP & MySQL" book.

Course Discussion Forum: At our meetup Site

Minimum Students per Course: 5.

Maximum Students per Course: 10.

Location: 21139 Lorain Road Suite 11, Fairview Park, Ohio 44126.

Dates and Times: Sundays at 1pm and Thursdays at 1pm.
(Note: We're running the same course twice, so there's no need to RSVP for both Sunday and Thursday, because each week they cover the same material)

Class Length: Each Class will run about 2 hours. Classes will start and end promptly on time. We will have one 15 minute break.

Course Length: The course is divided up into 16 classes, with an extra 2 (or 4) Bonus Sessions for qualifying participants:

Every course has a lot of material to get under your belt to really understand this stuff. Thus the many classes. Typically I expect classes might run once or twice a week. Also some groups may progress faster than others (especially if they do their homework), so one period of classroom time might cover two classes worth of material in their case. See information below on donations to find out about the Bonus Sessions.

We will be taking the classes in order. Which means setting up the environment is at the end. This might seem counter-intuitive. But our goal here is not to teach you how to install a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL Php) or WAMP (Windows) or MAMP (Mac) server. Rather, it is to teach you how to code and debug PHP and MySQL. So we start, as the Head First book does, digging right into it. Then those that wish to create their own setup can stick around for the later classes.

In order to make sure though, that you are able to hit the ground running, you will be given your own user account, sub-domain and MySQL database. So installing all of these will not be an issue, it's taken care of for you.

Prerequisites: You absolutely have to know how to use your computer with the operating system of your choice. I'm an Ubuntu nut and I'm not going to be spending class time troubleshooting Windows or Mac issues. So you have to know how your system works, and how to:

• Run your Operating Systems File Browser
  • Use a text editor.
  • Visit websites and bookmark them.
  • Fill out web forms.
  • Create accounts on Websites (Examples: Gmail, Twitter, etc).
  • Essentially you have to know how to get yourself around on your computer and on the web.

In addition you absolutely have to have a firm handle on HTML & CSS (Javascript not required at this point). This means you HAVE to know how to hand code HTML. It is not enough that you have only experience with a WYSIWYG editor. The course is going to be moving RAPIDLY along and we will not have time to stop and explain how HTML works, what a tag is, why we use one tag instead of another, and other HTML functions.

If you don't know these things, you cannot take this course right now. But don't despair, I'll be running this course often in the future. Just give me a call and we can point you in the direction to get you started learning these. If you don't know HTML, see our calendar­ to find a date for our HTML & CSS course. You can also check out the information on our HTML & CSS Course for more information.

Required Materials:

• O'Reilly's "Head First PHP & MySQL" by Lynn Beighley and Michael Morrison.

This is REQUIRED from the moment you step foot into the first class. The entire course is based around this book and you NEED to have it. You're going to be studying it outside of class time, so "looking over another's shoulder" won't be an option. Did I emphasize that enough? :D

You can pick one up from any of the following places:

Note: Be sure to check pricing. Some charge more but offer a discount (as much as half) for your second copy. So you might want to consider buying as a group. Also be aware, if you already own the book you can sign up at O'Reilly and add it to your "Registered Books" section and buy the Ebook in PDF format for only $5.00 bucks. Having the PDF might be a convenience for some. Also some of these stores have locations in our area, and if they don't have the books you need in stock, can often get store delivery, which saves you on shipping.

Unavailable for Kindle or other Ebook readers as far as I can tell. Though if you own the PDF, the Kindle will read it, but VERY clunky (not sure about the DX).

• ­O'Reilly's PHP Pocket Reference
  • ­O'Reilly's HTML Pocket Reference

Trust me on the MySQL Pocket Reference. I won't forbid you from attending the class or anything if you don't have it. But you will find it exceedingly useful. It was one of the major tools that I used when first learning MySQL.

The PHP Pocket Reference was only marginally helpful to me personally. But it does list PHP functions and that WILL come in handy when you're without a net connection. (If you have a net connection simply go to http://php.net/functi...­ ).

You will also want to bookmark O'Reilly's Head First Labs. It has the code samples we will be using, some great forums, and other materials you might dig. If you don't dig it then poo poo on you :D.

Syllabus: The TOC of "Head First PHP & MySQL" is essentially our syllabus. It is as follows:

• It’s Alive: Add Life to Your Static Pages
  • How It Fits Together: Connecting to MySQL
  • Creating Your Own Data: Create and Populate a Database
  • Your Application on the Web: Realistic and Practical Applications
  • When a Database Just Isn’t Enough: Working With Data Stored in Files
  • Assume They’re All Out to Get You: Securing Your Application
  • Remember Me?: Building Personalized Web Apps
  • Sharing is Caring: Eliminate Duplicate Code
  • Harvesting Data: Control Your Data, Control Your World
  • Better Living Through Functions: String and Custom Functions
  • Rules for Replacement: Regular Expressions
  • Drawing Dynamic Graphics: Visualizing Your Data... and More!
  • Interfacing to the World: Syndication and Web Services
  • The Top Ten Topics (We Didn’t Cover): Leftovers
  • A Place to Play: Set Up a Development Environment
  • Get Even More: Extend Your PHP

By the time you are finished with this course, you will have a firm understanding of PHP & MySQL, done proper. You'll understand hand coding, and its benefits. You'll be able to read the code written by others, and with time, be able to correct their mistakes. You will also understand proper code formatting, how to choose a code editor, tricks to save you time and increase your productivity. You are going to understand the basics of security, and how to avoid common pitfalls of new developers. (Note: This is by no means however a course on PHP or MySQL security. We will be offering an entirely separate course geared entirely towards security in the near future.) In short, you are going to be able to write your own data-based applications for the web.

Alright, so if you're still reading and your interested in the course a couple final details. First, RSVPs are a MUST for all attendees. If you're going to miss a class, I need a "no" RSVP so that I can plan my schedule if all of the sudden most cannot make it that class period.

As well, for the first class, I need a phone RSVP. Space is limited (and I mean physically limited in this case, because I have a small space), so I need to know how many are coming. My number is 440.521.7214.

Now for this stuff on the Bonus Sessions. The course is free, but I am asking for donations. Donations will help me cover the rent for the facility I am using, and other costs. A suggested donation range is between $15 to $30 per class. If you find the material, class time, help and suggestions you receive valuable, a donation is greatly appreciated. I will have a box available at each class, labeled donations, for those that are able and willing to donate.

Anyone that donates $20 or more per class will be entitled to attend 2 Bonus Sessions. In order to make effective use of these sessions you will need your own Dreamhost account (or other hosting account). But for the session time, you will use the space and account provided to you during the course. Bonus Sessions are limited to 4 participants at a time, scheduled between me and the students. This will be a hands on session to give your project extra attention and are in 2 hour increments. Anyone that donates $50 or more per class will be entitled to attend 4 one on one sessions. Contact me for details.

If anyone has any questions feel free to respond to this email, or call me. Looking forward to seeing yall at the classes!

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 329
NOTE: If you wish to discuss the classes please see the forum post at: http://www.meetup.com...­ . This post is simply for announcements by me about the course. Thanks Kindly.

The rest of the posts are an overview of what we'll be covering in the HTML/CSS course by class.

An overview of what we'll be covering for each week can be found under the heading "This Week's Class". The overview is taken right from the books we'll be using. The class overview can be found at the forum post about them.

Classroom time will always be about 45 minutes of lecture, a 15 minute break, then 60 minutes hands on, team participation.

You MUST RSVP in this event page and via a phone call (440.521.7214) so I know you are coming. Just ask for Aoirthoir (ur hower). Those that RSVP Yes and don't show will not be invited to future classes, because a no show bumps someone else and isn't fair to other students. (We understand an occasional no-show, but if at all possible as soon as you know you cannot make a class, change your RSVP to no.) Maybe RSVPs are disabled. Also there can be no jumping in the middle of a course. You need to attend these from the beginning. Don't worry though, we will be running these courses at different times, so if you miss this one, you can attend another.

Reminder: The course is free, but I am asking for donations. Donations will help me cover the rent for the facility I am using, and other costs. A suggested donation range is between $15 to $30 per class. If you find the material, class time, help and suggestions you receive valuable, a donation is greatly appreciated. I will have a box available at each class, labeled donations, for those that are able and willing to donate.

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 1 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

The topics we'll be discussing are (from the book):

It’s Alive - add life to your static pages

You’ve been creating great web pages with HTML, and a sprinkling of CSS. But you’ve noticed that visitors to your site can’t do much other than passively look at the content on the pages. The communication’s one-way, and you’d like to change that. In fact, you’d really like to know what your audience is thinking. But you need to be able to allow users to enter information into a web form so that you can find out what’s on their minds. And you need to be able to process the information and have it delivered to you. It sounds as if you’re going to need more than HTML to take your site to the next level.

• HTML is static and boring (page - 2)
  • PHP brings web pages to life (page - 3)
  • A form helps Owen get the whole story (page - 5)
  • Forms are made of HTML (page - 6)
  • The HTML form has problems (page - 8)
  • HTML acts on the client (page - 10)
  • PHP acts on the server (page - 11)
  • PHP scripts run on the server (page - 12)
  • Use PHP to access the form data (page - 16)
  • PHP scripts must live on a server! (page - 18)
  • The server turns PHP into HTML (page - 22)
  • A few PHP rules to code by (page - 25)
  • Finding the perfect variable name (page - 26)
  • Variables are for storing script data (page - 31)
  • $–POST is a special variable that holds form data (page - 33)
  • $–POST transports form data to your script (page - 34)
  • Creating the email message body with PH P (page - 44)
  • Even plain text can be formatted...a little (page - 46)
  • Newlines need double-quoted strings (page - 47)
  • Assemble an email message for Owen (page - 48)
  • Variables store the email pieces and parts (page - 49)
  • Sending an email message with PHP (page - 50)
  • Owen starts getting emails (page - 53)
  • Owen starts losing emails (page - 54)

This is your introduction to PHP & MySQL. These early chapters lay groundwork for the later chapters. You're expected to have read the chapter, before you come to class. This will be the pattern throughout the course. Read the material, lecture, then practice together.

Since this is the first class, you'd also do well to read the Intro. It is basically the same intro for all of the head first series. So if you have attended our other Head First courses, you've probably already read it. A refresher won't hurt though, but isn't required. It will give you a clue to the teaching method (which is really good by the way).

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 330
NOTE: If you wish to discuss the classes please see the forum post at: http://www.meetup.com...­ . This post is simply for announcements by me about the course. Thanks Kindly.

The rest of the posts are an overview of what we'll be covering in the HTML/CSS course by class.

An overview of what we'll be covering for each week can be found under the heading "This Week's Class". The overview is taken right from the books we'll be using. The class overview can be found at the forum post about them.

Classroom time will always be about 45 minutes of lecture, a 15 minute break, then 60 minutes hands on, team participation.

You MUST RSVP in this event page and via a phone call (440.521.7214) so I know you are coming. Just ask for Aoirthoir (ur hower). Those that RSVP Yes and don't show will not be invited to future classes, because a no show bumps someone else and isn't fair to other students. (We understand an occasional no-show, but if at all possible as soon as you know you cannot make a class, change your RSVP to no.) Maybe RSVPs are disabled. Also there can be no jumping in the middle of a course. You need to attend these from the beginning. Don't worry though, we will be running these courses at different times, so if you miss this one, you can attend another.

Reminder: The course is free, but I am asking for donations. Donations will help me cover the rent for the facility I am using, and other costs. A suggested donation range is between $15 to $30 per class. If you find the material, class time, help and suggestions you receive valuable, a donation is greatly appreciated. I will have a box available at each class, labeled donations, for those that are able and willing to donate.

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 2 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

How it fits together - connecting to mysql

Knowing how things fit together before you start building is a good idea. You’ve created your first PHP script, and it’s working well. But getting your form results in an email isn’t good enough anymore. You need a way to save the results of your form, so you can keep them as long as you need them and retrieve them when you want them. A MySQL database can store your data for safe keeping. But you need to hook up your PHP script to the MySQL database to make it happen.

• Owen’s PHP form works well. Too well... (page - 60)
  • MySQL excels at storing data (page - 61)
  • Owen needs a MySQL database (page - 62)
  • Create a MySQL database and table (page - 64)
  • The INSERT statement in action (page - 67)
  • Use SELECT to get table data (page - 70)
  • Let PHP handle the tedious SQL stuff (page - 73)
  • PHP lets data drive Owen’s web form (page - 74)
  • Connect to your database from PHP (page - 76)
  • Insert data with a PHP script (page - 77)
  • Use PHP functions to talk to the database (page - 78)
  • Get connected with mysqli_connect() (page - 80)
  • Build the INSERT query in PHP (page - 85)
  • Query the MySQL database with PHP (page - 86)
  • Close your connection with mysqli–close() (page - 87)
  • $–POST provides the form data (page - 91)
  • Owen needs help sifting through his data (page - 96)
  • Owen’s on his way to finding Fang (page - 98)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 331

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 3of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Creating your own data - Create and populate a databases

You don’t always have the data you need. Sometimes you have to create the data before you can use it. And sometimes you have to create tables to hold that data. And sometimes you have to create the database that holds the data that you need to create before you can use it. Confused? You won’t be. Get ready to learn how to create databases and tables of your very own. And if that isn’t enough, along the way, you’ll build your very first PHP & MySQL application.

• The Elvis store is open for business (page - 104)
  • Elmer needs an application (page - 105)
  • Visualize Elmer’s application design (page - 106)
  • It all starts with a table (page - 109)
  • Make contact with the MySQL server (page - 110)
  • Create a database for Elmer’s emails (page - 111)
  • Create a table inside the database (page - 112)
  • We need to define our data (page - 113)
  • Take a meeting with some MySQL data types (page - 114)
  • Create your table with a query (page - 117)
  • USE the database before you use it (page - 120)
  • DESCRIBE reveals the structure of tables (page - 123)
  • Elmer’s ready to store data (page - 125)
  • Create the Add Email script (page - 126)
  • The other side of Elmer’s application (page - 133)
  • The nuts and bolts of the Send Email script (page - 134)
  • First things first, grab the data (page - 135)
  • mysqli_fetch_array() fetches query results (page - 136)
  • Looping for a WHILE (page - 139)
  • Looping through data with while (page - 140)
  • You’ve got mail...from Elmer! (page - 145)
  • Sometimes people want out (page - 146)
  • Removing data with DELETE (page - 147)
  • Use WHERE to DELETE specific data (page - 148)
  • Minimize the risk of accidental deletions (page - 149)
  • MakeMeElvis.com is a web application (page -154)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 332

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 4 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Your Application on the Web - Realistic and Pratical Applications

Sometimes you have to be realistic and rethink your plans. Or plan more carefully in the first place. When your application’s out there on the Web, you may discover that you haven’t planned well enough. Things that you thought would work aren’t good enough in the real world. This chapter takes a look at some real-world problems that can occur as you move your application from testing to a live site. Along the way, we’ll show you more important PHP and SQL code.

• Elmer has some irritated customers (page - 160)
  • Protecting Elmer from...Elmer (page - 163)
  • Demand good form data (page - 164)
  • The logic behind Send Email validation (page - 165)
  • Your code can make decisions with IF (page - 166)
  • Testing for truth (page - 167)
  • IF checks for more than just equality (page - 168)
  • The logic behind Send Email validation (page - 171)
  • PHP functions for verifying variables (page - 172)
  • Test multiple conditions with AND and OR (page - 179)
  • Form users need feedback (page - 183)
  • Ease in and out of PHP as needed (page - 193)
  • Use a flag to avoid duplicate code (page - 194)
  • Code the HTML form only once (page - 195)
  • A form that references itself (page - 199)
  • Point the form action at the script (page - 200)
  • Check to see if the form has been submitted (page - 202)
  • Some users are still disgruntled (page - 206)
  • Table rows should be uniquely identifiable (page - 208)
  • Primary keys enforce uniqueness (page - 210)
  • From checkboxes to customer IDs (page - 215)
  • Loop through an array with foreach (page - 216)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 333

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 5 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Free PHP & MySQL Class 5 - When a database just isn't enough

Don't believe the hype...about databases, that is. Sure, they work wonders for storing all kinds of data involving text, but what about binary data? You know, stuff like JPEG images and PDF documents. Does it really make sense to store all those pictures of your rare guitar pick collection in a database table? Usually not. That kind of data is typically stored in files, and we'll leave it in files. But it's entirely possible to have your virtual cake and eat it too—this chapter reveals that you can use files and databases together to build PHP applications
that are awash in binary data.

• Virtual guitarists like to compete (page - 224)
  • The proof is in the picture (page - 225)
  • The application needs to store images (page - 226)
  • Planning for image file uploads in Guitar Wars (page - 231)
  • The high score database must be ALTERed (page - 232)
  • How do we get an image from the user? (page - 236)
  • Insert the image filename into the database (page - 238)
  • Find out the name of the uploaded file (page - 239)
  • Where did the uploaded file go? (page - 244)
  • Create a home for uploaded image files (page - 248)
  • Shared data has to be shared (page - 254)
  • Shared script data is required (page - 255)
  • Think of require_once as "insert" (page - 256)
  • Order is everything with high scores (page - 258)
  • Honoring the top Guitar Warrior (page - 261)
  • Format the top score with HTML and CSS (page - 262)
  • Only small images allowed (page - 267)
  • File validation makes the app more robust (page - 268)
  • Plan for an Admin page (page - 272)
  • Generate score removal links on the Admin page (page - 275)
  • Scripts can communicate with each other (page - 276)
  • Of GETs and POSTs (page - 278)
  • GET, POST, and high score removal (page - 280)
  • Isolate the high score for deletion (page - 283)
  • Control how much you delete with LIMIT (page - 284)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 334

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 6 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Assume they're all out to get you - securing your app

Your parents were right: don’t talk to strangers. Or at least don’t trust them. If nothing else, don’t give them the keys to your application data, assuming they’ll do the right thing. It’s a cruel world out there, and you can’t count on everyone to be trustworthy. In fact, as a web application developer you have to be part cynic, part conspiracy theorist. Yes, people are generally bad and they’re definitely out to get you! OK, maybe that’s a little extreme, but it’s very important to take security seriously and design your applications so that they’re protected against anyone who might choose to do harm.

• The day the music died (page - 296)
  • Where did the high scores go? (page - 297)
  • Securing the teeming hordes (page - 299)
  • Protecting the Guitar Wars Admin page (page - 300)
  • HTTP authentication requires headers (page - 302)
  • Header Exposed (page - 304)
  • Take control of headers with PHP (page - 305)
  • Authenticating with headers (page - 306)
  • Create an Authorize script (page - 314)
  • Guitar Wars Episode II : Attack of the High Score Clones (page - 318)
  • Subtraction by addition (page - 319)
  • Security requires humans (page - 320)
  • Plan for moderation in Guitar Wars (page - 321)
  • Make room for approvals with ALTER (page - 322)
  • Unapproved scores aren’t worthy (page - 327)
  • The million-point hack (page - 330)
  • Everything in moderation...? (page - 331)
  • How exactly did she do it? (page - 333)
  • Tricking MySQL with comments (page - 334)
  • The Add Score form was SQL injected (page - 335)
  • Protect your data from SQL injections (page - 336)
  • A safer INSERT (with parameters) (page - 337)
  • Form validation can never be too smart (page - 339)
  • Cease fire! (page - 341)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 335

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 7 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Remember Me? Building Personal Web Apps

No one likes to be forgotten, especially users of web applications. If an application has any sense of “membership,” meaning that users somehow interact with the application in a personal way, then the application needs to remember the users. You’d hate to have to reintroduce yourself to your family every time you walk through the door at home. You don’t have to because they have this wonderful thing called memory. But web applications don’t remember people automatically - it’s up to a savvy web developer to use the tools at their disposal (PHP and MySQL, maybe?) to build personalized web apps that can actually remember users.

• They say opposites attract (page - 346)
  • Mismatch is all about personal data (page - 347)
  • Mismatch needs user log-ins (page - 348)
  • Prepping the database for log-ins (page - 351)
  • Constructing a log-in user interface (page - 353)
  • Encrypt passwords with SHA() (page - 354)
  • Comparing passwords (page - 355)
  • Authorizing users with HTTP (page - 358)
  • Logging In Users with HTTP Authentication (page - 361)
  • A form for signing up new users (page - 365)
  • What’s in a cookie? (page - 375)
  • Use cookies with PHP (page - 376)
  • Rethinking the flow of log-ins (page - 379)
  • A cookie-powered log-in (page - 380)
  • Logging out means deleting cookies (page - 385)
  • Sessions aren’t dependent on the client (page - 389)
  • Keeping up with session data (page - 391)
  • Renovate Mismatch with sessions (page - 392)
  • Log out with sessions (page - 393)
  • Complete the session transformation (page - 398)
  • Users aren’t feeling welcome (page - 404)
  • Sessions are short-lived.. (page - 406)
  • ...but cookies can last forever! (page - 407)
  • Sessions + Cookies = Superior log-in persistence (page - 409)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 336

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 7 1/2 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Sharing is Caring, eliminate duplicate code

Umbrellas aren’t the only thing that can be shared. In any web application you’re bound to run into situations where the same code is duplicated in more than one place. Not only is this wasteful, but it leads to maintenance headaches since you will inevitably have to make changes, and these changes will have to be carried out in multiple places. The solution is to eliminate duplicate code by sharing it. In other words, you stick the duplicate code in one place, and then just reference that single copy wherever you need it. Eliminating duplicate code results in applications that are more efficient, easier to maintain, and ultimately more robust.

• Mismatch is in pieces (page - 421)
  • Rebuilding Mismatch from a template (page - 422)
  • Rebuild Mismatch with templates (page - 424)
  • Mismatch is whole again...and much better organized (page - 426)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir
Aoirthoir An B.
aoirthoir
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 337

"This Week's Class"
===================
This week we will be studying the chapter 8 of O'Reilly's Head first PHP & MySQL book. So be sure to bring your copy with you.

Harvesting data, control your data, your world

There’s nothing like a good fall data harvest. An abundance of information ready to be examined, sorted, compared, combined, and generally made to do whatever it is your killer web app needs it to do. Fulfilling? Yes. But like real harvesting, taking control of data in a MySQL database requires some hard work and a fair amount of expertise. Web users demand more than tired old wilted data that’s dull and unengaging. They want data that enriches...data that fulfills...data that’s relevant. So what are you waiting for? Fire up your MySQL tractor and get to work!

• Making the perfect mismatch (page - 428)
  • Mismatching is all about the data (page - 429)
  • Model a database with a schema (page - 431)
  • Wire together multiple tables (page - 436)
  • Foreign keys in action (page - 437)
  • Tables can match row for row (page - 438)
  • One row leads to many (page - 439)
  • Matching rows many-to-many (page - 440)
  • Build a Mismatch questionnaire 445
  • Get responses into the database (page - 446)
  • We can drive a form with data (page - 450)
  • Generate the Mismatch questionnaire form (page - 456)
  • Strive for a bit of normalcy (page - 462)
  • When normalizing, think in atoms 463
  • Three steps to a normal database (page - 465)
  • Altering the Mismatch database (page - 469)
  • So is Mismatch really normal? (page - 470)
  • A query within a query within a query... (page - 472)
  • Let’s all join hands (page - 473)
  • Connect with dots 474
  • Surely we can do more with inner joins (page - 475)
  • Nicknames for tables and columns (page - 477)
  • Joins to the rescue (page - 478)
  • Five steps to a successful mismatch (page - 485)
  • Compare users for “mismatchiness” (page - 487)
  • All we need is a FOR loop (page - 488)

Kind Regards,
Aoirthoir