• What we'll do
Pedal on Parliament Feeder Ride
(replaces the scheduled ride on Sunday 29th)
This is a Cycling UK (Glasgow Group) feeder ride to Edinburgh to join Pedal on Parliament (PoP). This is an event where we will congregate to ask all of Scotland’s politicians, from all parties, to sign up to a manifesto to make Scotland a cycle friendly country for people of all ages and abilities. Details of the PoP campaign are given here https://pedalonparliament.org/.
The PoP event kicks off in the Meadows in Edinburgh at 12 noon, meaning that the ride will need an early (6:45am sharp) start to arrive there in time. As such, I have plotted a fairly direct route from Glasgow to Edinburgh to allow us to get there in a reasonable time https://www.plotaroute.com/route/573631. Total distance is about 49 miles with 1900ft of climbing, none of it difficult.
Important Notes: As this ride is time sensitive, i.e. we want to be in Edinburgh by 12 noon, please note the following.
1. The ride will not be fast but it will be steady with few stops and those that we have short. We need to cover at least 10miles every hour. Wind and gradients allowing, we will aim for riding speeds of 12-17mph. Please consider other ways of getting to PoP if you are unsure of maintaining this speed.
2. Please bring enough food and drink to sustain you as we will not have time to stop at shops/cafes.
3. If for any reason you find that you cannot complete the ride, there are numerous opportunities to take a train back to Glasgow or onwards to Edinburgh with stations at Coatbridge Sunnyside, Airdrie, Drumgelloch, Caldercruix, Blackridge, Armadale and Bathgate. Trains run at approximately half hour intervals. Due to time pressures of the ride, we will only be able to offer limited assistance to anyone who breaks down.
4. On my scout ride I didn’t find any conveniently located public toilets. On the roads we will pass a fair number of petrol stations and we will stop as wanted.
5. The scheduled ride is one-way only and while some folk may wish to organise a ride back to Glasgow, it is suggested that most will want to return to Glasgow by train. Details can be had at www.scotrail.co.uk and here https://pedalonparliament.org/pop-edinburgh/getting-there/.
6. This ride is being run by Cycling UK Glasgow Group but is open to non-members. All riders will be asked to sign-on and provide contact details. Please note that while every effort will be made to lead riders safely to the destination, all participants will be riding at their own risk.
The Spirit of PoP: This feeder ride will cover roads with lack of/poor provision (Glasgow-Plains), excellent off-road dedicated cycle track, reasonable road-side shared use paths, and typical round-the-houses urban cycle routes. If you haven’t thought too much about cycle facilities this ride will give you a taste of all types for you to decide what works best. In the spirit of PoP do not omit to tell your councillors/MSPs your preference.
• What to bring
he usual. Drink/food, puncture kit, tubes, tools, pump, waterproofs and (if we are very lucky) sunscreen!
• Important to know
I would appreciate an offer for back marker! Thanks