NO BEGINNERS or NOVIS hikers! MICRO SPIKES OR ICERS ARE MANDITORY, Johnston Canyon is a very popular hike at any time of year but spring and fall it can require some expertise in dealing with icy conditions therefore I reserve the right to edit people from the trip list if I feel they don’t have the experience or skills… this is for safety reasons. I will be checking to make sure we all have proper Micro Spikes or Icers before we leave Shouldice.
The first part of the trail will take us along the upper and lower falls, the scenery is beautiful but the trail in this area is usually very icy. As we leave the falls we hike thru the trees with intermittent mountain views coming out at a meadow and the Ink Pots… thermal pools. The trail is 12km with approximately 400m of cumulative elevation gain. Lunch will be at the Ink Pots. Adult trip, NO DOGS please. A Park Pass is required, some of the group do have annual group park passes but if you are in a car that doesn’t have a group pass be prepared to pay your share of the day pass.
What you will need:
- Micro Spikes/Icers - Mandatory (traction devices for your boots)
- Over the ankle waterproof hiking boots with good tread - mandatory
- Hiking poles (strongly suggested)
- Gaiters (optional but will keep pant bottoms dry and clean)
- Proper hiking pants or winter softshell or gortex pants depending on the weather
- Lunch, snacks and 2 litres of water
- Large garbage bag to sit on or put your pack on at lunch to keep dry
- Clean dry shoes to wear home and a plastic bag for your possibly muddy hiking boots (be considerate of the carpool drivers and keep the mud out of their cars)
ALL TRIPS ARE DEPENDENT ON WEATHER CONDITIONS SO THE MORNING OF THE TRIP PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE TO MAKE SURE THE TRIP ISN'T CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS. We will meet at Shouldice Arena Parking Lot north end by 16 Ave, there will be a carpooling fee of $25 per person paid to your driver, please have correct change. For those who don't mind taking their car and passengers, please indicate as a comment when you RSVP. This will be a full day trip with us arriving back at Shouldice near 6:00pm. We will leave within 5 minutes of the posted meeting time, please come 10 minutes early. If you have a problem and need to let me know you are on your way my phone is[masked]
By registering for this hike, you signify that you're aware of the risks associated with nature hiking and are aware of your physical limits and how they relate to this particular event. You also signify that you take full responsibility for your safety (although we’ll all do our best to ensure that everyone returns safe and sound) and don’t hold the organizer of the hike or the organizers of this group responsible for any harm that might occur as a result of your participation.