If you are not a paid CORA member or haven't renewed for 2012, make sure to read the "CORA Membership Fee and Waiver" section in this trip's description and bring the membership form and fee with you.
All climbing levels are welcome BUT you must have passed the "Belay Test"at either the Stronghold or Chinook Climbing Centre. If you have never climbed before, you will need to take the "Beginner Lesson" offered by the centre ($40 available only on Thursdays and Sundays) http://www.calgaryclimbing.com/chinook/adult.php
New Climbers (Possibility):
If you have never climbed before and would like to try it out before committing to a lesson, email me to let me know and if we have enough belayers, I might add you to the list so you get to climb BUT not belay. The gym will allow you to climb as long as you don't belay and don't do your own knot! This will be done only once to give you a chance to try it out but please know that you will need to pass the Belay Test if you want to join my outings in the future; no repeat non belayers please!
What to bring:
- A lock to store your belongings in the locker room
- Flip Flop - bare feet and outside shoes are not allowed in the climbing area and your feet will hate you if you keep your climbing shoes on all day long
What is a "Belay Test":
- Climbing gyms will test new visitors (experienced or novice) on whether they know how to belay and how to do the necessary knots
- It's $5 and done only once either at Stronghold or Chinook Centre
- No appointment required
- a climbing partner is needed
Need to do the Belay Test?
If you have climbed before and know how to belay, you can do the test right then and there. I can meet you 15 minutes prior as you will need a partner for the test, please let me know.
CORA Membership Fee and Waiver:
- Not a CORA member:
- CORA members:
- Free event except you pay the gym entry fee (see below)
Chinook Centre Fee:
Entry is about $15/day or you can buy 10 passes for $138. You can also rent equipment (shoes, harness, Belay device) if you don't have any. Fees are outlined here http://www.calgaryclimbing.com/chinook/prices.php
Rules of Conduct: