What we're about
Update: Events notifications will be cross-posted at our public Facebook group so everyone can see the type of events that are being posted. https://www.facebook.com/groups/18502125252...
Cascadia Explorers is a recreational club devoted to enjoying outdoor activities, social gatherings and volunteer events in a respectful manner.
So, why charge $5 per year, when there are so many other great hiking-oriented Meetup groups out there (NW Wilderness, Endorphin Drip and NW Sea-to-Summit are some of our favorites)?
Our main goal is to provide people an opportunity to enjoy many types of outdoor activities safely and affordably.
To do this, the founders will be actively managing the group and pooling resources to make member’s experiences more affordable, simpler and safer. Cascadia Explorers will operate as a non-profit; none of the money will be pocketed by anyone personally.
Here’s a few of the things we plan on doing with the member dues...
1. Pooling and sharing equipment, like snowshoes, backpacks, kayaks and electronics (GPS)
2. Paying for storage, maintenance and tracking of equipment.
3. Pre-paying and securing wilderness permits for areas that require them, like Mt St Helens or The Enchantments.(attendees will refund the cost later)
4. Paying for Meetup itself.
5. Encouraging more people to be event leaders by providing simple incentives and reducing their financial exposure.
Our goal is NOT to create a huge group with thousands of lurkers and ghosts. Membership dues will help us reduce no-shows (a big frustration to hike leaders) and limit the group to active members.
We really hope you become a dues-paying member - at less than 50 cents per month you will help build a great community.