What we're about
The mission of the Rotary Club of San Francisco – Castro is to support the Object of Rotary by:
· Fostering unity among club members
· Strengthening and expanding Rotary in our community and around the world
· Communicating locally and globally the work of Rotary
Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
· FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
· SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to serve society;
· THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business and community life;
· FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Together, we see a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves.
The Rotary Club of San Francisco – Castro will strive cultivate a diverse and inclusive membership. We will inspire joy through service by being responsive and respective community leaders. We will make service look fun and inviting. We will utilize our time, talent and treasures to bring awareness and resolution to issues surrounding the LGBTQ+ community including, but not limited to, homelessness, aging and marginalization. We will work to help end human trafficking and LGBTQ+ discrimination within our community and abroad.
The Four-Way Test
Of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it bring GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned
Avenues of Service
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through five Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity.
· Club Service focuses on making our club strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active development plan.
· Vocational Service calls on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society.
· Community Service encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest.
· International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
· Youth Service recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA), and Rotary Youth Exchange.