addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Message Board › GF Mac & Cheese Has Arrived!

GF Mac & Cheese Has Arrived!

A former member
Post #: 178
Starting today, S'MAC will be offering GF mac and cheese. I have never been to S'MAC (I am planning a trip this weekend, so I will share my experience with the group), but I am pretty sure it is more of a take-out style eatery than a sit-down restaurant. All mac & cheese options can be served gf and without bread crumbs and prices range from $4.25 for a "Nosh" to $30.00 for a "Partay!" size. S'Mac has two locations, one in the East Village (their original location) and one on the UWS and if you are lucky enough to live near either of these locales, they deliver. If anyone tries this menu, please share your experience with the group.

S'Mac
345 E 12th St, New York 10003
Btwn 1st & 2nd Avenues
212-358-7912
ben c.
bencappel
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 381
Ohhhh baby! Can't wait to try it... =)
Sabeen
SabeenP
New York, NY
Post #: 45
It's not at the UWS location yet! I just went there, and GF is only available at the downtown location. I was really bummed! Guess I'll have to head downtown this weekend!
Sabeen
SabeenP
New York, NY
Post #: 50
I went to the East Village location yesterday, and it was delicious! I had the Masala Mac, and my fiance had the Cheeseburger Mac. We both got the medium size portions and had lots of leftovers to bring home. Can't wait until the UWS location gets GF!
alli
user 4391164
Mineola, NY
Post #: 47
I am thinking of going next Sat since people seem so psyched (sp?) :) Can I ask you sabeen do you tend to be very sensitive to cross contamination? I do, that's why I am asking.
Sabeen
SabeenP
New York, NY
Post #: 51
Sometimes I am sensitive, other times I am not. I did not have any symptoms of being glutened after I ate at the restaurant, but I was not feeling that great after eating the leftovers. I have a feeling there might be issues with cross contamination, but I did not ask them what precautions, if any, they were taking to prevent it.
alli
user 4391164
Mineola, NY
Post #: 48
Since I tend to be so sensitive to cc I might skip it. I have an appointment on 56th and 5th beforehand and it's pretty far out of the way anyway. It seems like so many gf places are way uptown or way downtown. I wonder that we don't have more choices in midtown. There are a few places on the UES that I have been meaning to try but it's just such a hastle to get there. I come into Penn Station from LI. Maybe if I move to CT and come into grand central I'll try them since at least I'll be on the right side of town. Thanks for your input!
A former member
Post #: 180
Alli,

I haven't had a chance to try S'MAC, but I would assume that the cross contamination is at a minimum because the owner is sensitive to wheat. I would assume her wheat sensitivity would make her extra aware of contamination issues.
A former member
Post #: 260
In my experience, there can be a big difference between a restaurant declaring food gluten-free and a third, informed, party (such as GFRAP) going over ingredients and practices to ensure that the food is gluten-free.

I don't question the good intentions of anyone who tries to serve me gluten-free food, but I prefer to know that the people preparing the food have gone over the situation in detail. Have the people at S'MAC gone over this with anybody? Would they be open to doing such a thing?
A former member
Post #: 184
I was reading the Celiac Chicks website today and it sounds like S'MAC has worked very hard to eliminate cross contamination from their kitchen, even going so far as to serve GF flours and "breadcrumbs" to all guests. The only sources of gluten in their entire kitchen are the pastas and the desserts. Separate utensils, pots, pans, etc. have been allocated for the GF menu. S'MAC has also been in contact with GFRAP and is in the process of having their restaurant incorporated into the program. With all of this new information, I think it is safe to say that S'MAC is probably a delicious and safe GF dining experience.

Please note the pricing in my previous post is incorrect, an additional fee will be charged for GF items.