addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Central Florida Raw Food Connection Message Board › SISTERS UNITE......FAST! BROTHERS INVITED TOO!

SISTERS UNITE......FAST! BROTHERS INVITED TOO!

Karen
rawfoodchica
Orlando, FL
Post #: 23
I did it! I fasted on green juices and rejuvelac all day yesterday, that's a big accomplishment for me, you know! I have to say that it was easier than I expected, except in the evening, hunger really started kicking in so I juiced some veggies, practiced some deep breathin exercises and that took care of it. I have never wanted to go to bed so badly, all I kept thinking about was sinking my teeth into something in the morning. Surpisingly, I woke up feeling great, an hour earlier than usually and super energized. I will hold my juice fast till noon today, which is what I originally wanted to do. I'm going to break it with an apple. It'll probably be the best tasting apple ever, let me stop talking about the apple I still have 23 minutes to go.
This was an awesome experience and I'm looking forward to doing it all over again next week. Thank you, Chef Olive for encouraging us and best of luck to all the ladies that are doing the fast right now.
Love,
Karen
Cindi T.
Cindi_in_Satsuma
Satsuma, FL
Post #: 22
Started day three. I drank my quart of grapefruit / tangerine juice (I actually do that every morning during the citrus season and crave it the rest of the year). Last night I decided to mix rejuvelac and some herbs out of the garden: arugula, parsley, and dandelion. It was a very awful combination, but for some reason I felt compelled to drink it. It made me think that there really is no such thing as bad combinations as all of the ingredients are so fresh and alive. They are just combinations we wouldn't put together again.

Anyway, when I went to bed last night, I had the most delightful empty feeling in my stomach. It was extremely pleasurable. It wasn't hunger at all. I've decided to extend through Sunday when I'll go to the Jax Raw Meetup at San Pablo and break it there. Hopefully I won't feel like I want to over indulge.

Thanks for the opportunity to fast with a little group of us. Maybe if we have more notice next time, we can get a big ole gaggle of us. Thanks, Olive! I was thinking about what you said about people offering you food and you automatically eat it. My husband hates doing any fasting during the work week. He believes we should try to fast on quiet, low key days when there isn't food around. There's probably something to be said for that, but it doesn't matter to me. I've had to prepare food for the family throughout this fast, and it hasn't been bothersome. I can't say I don't want the goodies I'm preparing, especially the lovely refried bean burritos from yesterday (all raw, of course!), but it is a temporary yearning. Today I'm making lots of rejuvelac cheeses for the meetup along with sprouted wheat crackers, and it is weird not tasting for salt and stuff like that, so it is a little inconvenient. The peaceful glow that accompanies fasting is worth it though. I have experienced a lot of mental clarity that is nice too. Thanks again.
Cindi T.
Cindi_in_Satsuma
Satsuma, FL
Post #: 23
After all that, I terminated my fast after 72 with a lovely salad last night. It was a great run, and I feel terrific. It is good to have someone to report to even if there is not a lot of participation. I read a post by Sarma (of Pure Food and Wine) yesterday where she attended a facility where she could juice fast for a week. It definately helped her be where there was no food around for a while to accomplish her goal. (She had never juice fasted even a day before, and she had been raw for 5 years. Here is the post if you're interested: http://www.welikeitra...­)

Accountability and a tranquil, supportive environment all lead to a greater success rate. Thanks for being there.
A former member
Post #: 762
I'm just now getting to read this --- great job everybody!!

Yes, I started Fast Tuesdays with JaxRaw back in the summer and kind of let it go due to a lot going on, but I have always had every intention to start Fast Tuesdays again after January 1.

Chef Olive's Nurkey was excellent! As was everything else on Thanks-Living day.

Cindi, I'm also bringing a rejuvelac cheez to the JaxRaw Meetup tomorrow. I can't wait to try yours.
I'm also bringing "BEGG Salad" - a rejuvelac almond cheez that I make taste just like the filling in deviled eggs!

After reading Cindi's description of the happy empty tummy feeling, I feel the need to feel that pleasurable feeling too. I may just fast one day this week after all. There were some amazing Meyer lemons at our Farmers Market - they will be great during my fasting day. Something to look forward too!

Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 449
Hey you Guy's,

I haven't been aboard. I attended the SOHO Expo all day and into the late night Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Dolphin Hotel in Disney. It was great education and a load of goodies and discount purchasing. I am just getting back here to the site.

Ok now Cindi.... I don't know about the empty stomach as a good feeling. I have got to work on getting there. I love the thought of the waiting until the weekend for the fasting but I think I have a better option for the few in the field as opposed to the houseful of food here. I just have to discipline myself to taste and spit and recognize the fast. I know, easier said than done.

How was the jax event girls.....I know it was good. Tell me how good.

Peace!

I'll be fasting again tomorrow. Trying a day a week.....I'm trying for this week to make it a true fast. I'll be joining you Melissa in January for yours.
A former member
Post #: 767
Sounds like you had a ball! The event was beyond amazing. Olive, I was blown away at the level of excellence of the dishes that were brought. There was some real gourmet dining going on! I posted the photos on the JaxRaw site.

Darn, I went grocery shopping yesterday and now feel obligated to eat all the stuff I bought, which means no fasting this week.sad I bought a durian and found an amazing deal on super-ripe persimmons (I got 17 for $4) and they are on the counter calling my name. If anyone has a fantastic persimmon recipe, please pass it along!
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 451
I know about the buying and in my case fixing so you feel the need to eat it. I experience that waaayyyyyyy tooo much.

As for the persimmons and other Florida seasonals I have loads of recipes but in mentioning that I remember you guy's recipes from the class that I haven't finished. That being said just remember they (persimmons) keep very well in the frig. I don't know what type you have but all are good alone, in drinks, as flavored or as thick teas, puree and dry, nectar, smoothies, puddings. I have an amazing recipe with spice water into a sunflower seed mylk, date paste, persimmons, extra cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom then thicken with chia seeds making the best pudding EVER! I alway get raves when bringing it. I will get the recipe together for the persimmon mead.........it's great, the nectar will also enhance your kombucha or rejuvelac wine. I will work to finish and get that off to you guy's today!

Peace!
A former member
Post #: 769
Ooooh goodie, can't wait!! I have Fuyu. Thanks Chef!!biggrin
Anne T.
user 3582763
Orlando, FL
Post #: 9
Melissa bought a durian. This reminded me of the durian smoothie I had at this excellent raw restaurant in OC California called AU LAC just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know the porportions but it had fresh durian, fresh thai coconut juice, and agave. So delectable! I have to run off to the ethnic market to see if I can find a fresh durian.
Also, can't wait for Chef O's persimmon recipe. Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 770
No kidding, as I read this, I'm eating a mish-mash of mango, persimmon and durian in a bowl. Big grin!biggrin Ahh.... a glorious raw Friday night! (sorry to post this on the "Fasting" discussion!)