Interested in walking, cycling, hillwalking, kayaking, adventure travel, trips away, outdoor adventures, exploring the countryside, great outdoors, mountains and coast, while making new friends?
Want to join a real outdoor activities club run for and by members (ie no paid organisers) rather than a commercial or semi-commercial outfit?
Prefer to be with a group with people who come regularly or semi-regularly so you can make new friends rather than a group with 20,000 members so you never see the same people twice?
Dislike walking or cycling in huge swarms of people? Some Meetup group outdoor events have 40+ people but not us!
Then Central London Outdoor Group (CLOG) may be the group for you!
NB Only a selection of our events are posted on Meetup but you can find them all on our website events calendar (or Hotline for events coming soon). <br>
We are unlike any other Meetup Group:
• Typical numbers on our walks, cycle rides and trips away are between 10 to 25 people, depending on the event. Yes, we do like company but not such a massive crowd that creates log-jams at stiles, overloads any pubs or cafe we visit....you get the picture! <br>
• Meetup RSVPs are not indicative of the actual number of event attendees. Meetup is one of several social media we use and most attendees are members of CLOG and not on Meetup.
• Our walks, cycle rides, hiking trips to mountains or coast, cycle tours and other outdoor adventures are run by our members for our members. Any member can organise an event.
• As our events are on our website events calendar , we don't duplicate many of them on Meetup (not time-effective)
•Majority of our current members are in their 40s and 50s - but we welcome people of any age
• Long established group (actually founded in 1937!)
• You are welcome to attend three events for free to try out the group but after that you need to join CLOG if you want to continue with us. Our membership fee for one year is £15 for new members. A third of this pays for our basic running costs and the rest goes on subsidising events where there are external costs eg trips, socials etc. Our events are led by members on an unpaid/voluntary basis.
We have around 20 or more trips away each year for weekends and longer holidays. Around half of these are to UK destinations (mountains, coasts, National Parks and other areas that are less easy to reach from London) and the rest are to similar destinations in Europe. Trips away are run at cost (to pay for food and accommodation) or sometimes subsidised. You normally need to be a member to come on a trip.
Walking, hillwalking, cycling and trips away are our main activities, but we also offer opportunities to try out other outdoor pursuits such as canoeing, sea kayaking, sailing, champing, orienteering and beachcombing.
Finally, don't forget you can like us on Facebook and follow on Twitter. Photos from recent trips can be found on our Flickr page.
NB CLOG is non-commercial and events are organised by members of the club on a voluntary basis. All participants should make themselves aware of the risks inherent in walking, cycling and other outdoor activities and take responsibility for their own actions and choices of activity.