Some trained COUNT volunteers work together once a month at RMH as Housewarmers (usually on the 1st Sunday from 1 – 5 PM). Some schedule other shifts at their convenience. You may try this out with less fuss by following a "Fast track" or go through the normal process.
• Arrange a time to shadow a COUNT volunteer. Call Dave Nohle at[masked] (cell).
• Show up and try it out.
• Complete application, etc. later.
• Complete an online application.
• Attend orientation in advance.
• At orientation you will complete forms agreeing to keep family/patient info private and allowing a background check, tour the facility and sign up for your first of three training shifts.
• Complete three training shifts. Daily shifts are: morning 9 AM - 1 PM, afternoon 1 - 5 PM and evening 5 - 9 PM.
• Schedule shifts online using the on the RMH scheduling system.
The Ronald McDonald House (RMH) provides housing and meals for families with sick children. The Columbus RMH is the largest in the world with 137 rooms. COUNT has been volunteering there since May 2013.
Housewarmers work with RMH guests to provide a home-like environment - greet, assist with family needs, answer phones, give tours, assist with checkin/checkout, prepare guest rooms after checkout, clean facility, laundry, restock supplies and staff the front desk. RMH Housewarmers volunteer at least one four-hour shift a month. All Housewarmers must complete an application and agree to a background check before they can be full fledged volunteers.