Start the New Year off right by spending it in the woods! We'll be putting on an orienteering meet in conjunction with the Pocahontas State Park "First Day" events. Come on out and join us on one of the three courses! There will also be a ribbon-cutting ceremony at noon to open the new hiking trails north of Swift Creek Lake!
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
STARTS: Start any time 12:30pm - 2:30pm for the beginner course and 12:30pm - 2:00pm for other courses. (Everybody must be back to the start no later than 3:30 pm.) Feel free to arrive any time after 12:15pm.
COST: Maps are $5 each.
LOCATION: From the main park entrance on Beach Rd, follow the signs toward the Heritage Center. There will be red & white arrow signs pointing the way as you get closer. Look for us inside of the Heritage Center.
PARKING FEE: No fee this day!
- Ribbon-cutting for the new hiking trails will be at noon just across the bridge next to the boat launch. Join in and then come orienteering!
- As always, instruction will be available for beginners or those who would like some help to get started. We can also offer some tips to those who've been out a few times and want to advance their skills a bit.
- Bring your own compass, or borrow one of ours (on a first-come basis). Be prepared to leave car keys or an ID as a deposit when borrowing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for travel both on & off trail.
- Feel free to post comments or contact one of the organizers if you have any questions!
*** Our meets wouldn't be possible without the help of volunteers. Please consider offering some of your time at this or another upcoming meet. ***
+++++ When you RSVP, please answer the question & indicate: (1) how many of each type of map you will need, (2) if you need beginner instruction, (3) if you can help at the meet. This really helps us with planning! +++++
All courses will be traditional orienteering courses which are to be completed in the numerical order indicated on the map. Everyone must be back to the finish by 3:30pm.
Courses will be:
COURSE DESIGNERS: Tim Gilbert & Alec Richardson