*** Join us for a Winter day in the woods! We'll have a fire & marshmallows to keep us warm and two fun courses to choose from. One is a Score-O with a twist or two thrown in and the other is a traditional beginner course. Take a look below for details! Note that the start times are different for each event. All competitors on the Score-O will finish at approximately the same time, so plan to hang around afterward to socialize, compare your strategies, and have some marshmallows! ***
STARTS: Score-O will have a mass start at 1:30. Starts for the beginner course are any time between 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm. (Everybody must be back to the start no later than 3:30 pm.) Feel free to arrive any time after 12:45 pm.
LOCATION: Pocahontas State Park. 10301 State Park Road, Chesterfield VA. From the main entrance station along Beach Rd, follow the signs toward the back of the park past the pool parking lot & look for the red & white arrow signs. We'll be at Shelter #5.
COST: Maps are $5 each. Park entry is $5, unless you have a state park pass.
- As always, instruction will be available for beginners or those who would like some help to get started.
- Bring your own compass, or borrow one of ours (on a first-come basis). Be prepared to leave car keys or an ID as a deposit when borrowing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for travel both on & off trail. The event may be cancelled in case of adverse weather.
- Feel free to post comments or contact one of the organizers if you have any questions.
*** Our meets wouldn't be possible without the help of volunteers, so please consider offering some of your time at this or another upcoming meet. ***
+++++ When you RSVP, please answer the question & indicate: (1) how many of each type of map you will need, (2) if you need beginner instruction. This really helps us with planning! +++++
We will have 2 choices today. See below for details of each. Note that the start times are different.
* Score-O With A Twist -
There will be a mass start at 1:30 pm for the two-part Score-O. All of the details will be shared just before the start, so you can plan your strategy. Difficulty of control locations will be a mix of intermediate and advanced. The map will be 1:10,000 scale.
* Beginner course - This is a beginner-level traditional orienteering course to be completed in the numerical order indicated on the map. Instruction will be available. Start any time 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm.
COURSE DESIGNERS: Alec Richardson & Ellen Stefaniak