Location visible to members
Ride length: 10 miles total (out and back)
Ride level: easy
Pace: easy (social) 7-9 mph
Start time: 6:45 pm
Duration: ~1-1/2 hours
Terrain: mostly small crushed gravel, smooth dirt nature trails, some asphalt and concrete
Bikes suitable for this ride: all types but ideal for mountain bikes, cyclocross and hybrid bikes
** A headlight and tail light are required for this ride. You will need a headlight that is capable of illuminating the area in front of your bike. **
Description: Charlotte's original Greenway Park, McAlpine Creek Greenway, built in 1978, was the first public greenway trail ever acquired and built in the western piedmont of North Carolina.
Though surrounded by urban development, McAlpine Creek Greenway is the only greenway where you can see river otter, beaver, and mink all in one general area. Also protected at this greenway is Mecklenburg County's only population of a native Larkspur (Delphinium tricorne), a very rare, purple, showy, spring ephemeral wildflower.
188 species of birds have been documented along McAlpine Creek Greenway, the second highest site total in Mecklenburg County.
• The greenway has no lighting and will be very dark. You will need a headlight that is capable of illuminating the area in front of your bike.
• Terrain: Our ride will be on dirt nature trails, crushed gravel, asphalt and concrete.
• Public restroom available in McAlpine Creek Park, but may be closed after dark.
• Please bring plenty of water and snacks if needed.
• Bike helmets are mandatory on all rides; gloves and eye protection are highly recommended.
• If chance of thunderstorms, ride will be rescheduled.
We'll meet on Old Bell Rd. and start our ride at 6:45 PM.
** The greenway parking area will close after dark so please park curbside of Old Bell Rd. (Avoid the "No Parking" sections of the street) **
Our ride will take us the entire length of the greenway, and also some of the Cottonwoods nature trails, sections of Boyce Park trails and sections of the 5K cross-country course at McAlpine Creek Park.
Campbell Creek & McAlpine Creek Greenway (Charlotte Parks & Rec website) (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/OpenGreenways/Pages/CampbellCreekandMcAlpineCreekGreenways.aspx)
Map of Campbell Creek & McAlpine Creek Greenway system (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/OpenGreenways/Documents/CampbellCreekMcAlpineCreekGreenway.pdf)
Phone or text Maurice at 704-497-0330, if needed (Day of ride ONLY, please)