addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › what is acceptable sexual behavior?

what is acceptable sexual behavior?

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,661
Promoting sex in nursing homes.

Darn! Looks like you have to sign up in order to see this video. It still is worth it, I think. There are very interesting ethical issues exactly related to this thread.
A former member
Post #: 934
the adage that men are more violent on account of testosterone may not be accurate.

Researchers Suggest That Testosterone Promotes Honesty in Men

91 healthy subjects participated in the experimental study.
46 of the patients received a skin-applied testosterone gel, whilst the other 45 subjects received a placebo gel.
The research team investigated the causes and effects of the hormone in male patients.
The study was double-blind and randomized, therefore neither the subjects, nor the doctors, had any idea about who received placebo and who received the actual testosterone gel.

After applying the gel, subjects participated in an easy game.
Each subject was asked to play a game of dice whilst being inside an enclosed booth.
Based on their score, they would be rewarded with a sum of money.
The research team noted that this game was conceived in a certain way, in order to allow the subjects to lie.

“Due to the separate booths, nobody knew whether they were entering their real scores into the computer, or higher ones in order to get more money”, said Dr Wibral, whilst adding that researchers were able to detect cheaters based on statistics, because the probability for each face of the dice to occur is the same.

In statistics, an outlier is an observation that is numerically distant from the rest of the data, thus the subjects who scored higher numbers were considered as cheaters.

The comparison of the two groups revealed that the participants which received the testosterone gel were more likely to tell the truth.
Dr Armin Falk, the co-author of the study, notes that the results of their study indicates that previous research which linked higher levels of testosterone to an anti-social behavior had a wrong one-dimensional approach.

A former member
Post #: 939

sex before and after religion [ Christian ]

Richard Dawkins Visits Anti-Masturbation Conference

Holly L.
user 12465907
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
Bill,

This is a wonderful conversation, and absolutely relevant (I read some of Helen's posts). I haven't been able to go through all of the comments, as I'm in a rush this morning, but I skipped to the end to see when/where the discussion last left off. That's when I saw your [video-less] post about encouraging sex in nursing homes, which prompted my reply.

I have a 13-year old son with Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy, and I've no problem admitting that I think about his sexuality and the barriers he is sure to face when it comes to expressing it. I do not have to worry about my 7-year old in this way, and so I am aware of how "unfair" (is fairness/unfairness an illusion?) this is for my oldest.

Sex is one of the greatest pleasures of being a human being and I want my son to have a rich, full life. As a [single] mother, I am his greatest advocate. I wonder what I can do to help him (or, open some doors for him), and it would be a shame for me to neglect inquiry into the issue of his expression of sexuality because of taboo. (Taboo is a barrier in itself, and I'm not one for barriers. Aren't we, as human beings, naturally equipped with what we need to explore every facet of existence - even the uncomfortable?)

Anyhow . . . while researching the topic of sex among disabled adults, I came across a documentary called "Scarlett Road," about sex workers who specialize in servicing the disabled. (Side note: I challenge anyone to give me a rational, intelligent argument against prostitution.) It's fascinating (and undeniably touching), and I thought you might be interested.
A former member
Post #: 944

Sexual ethics
Sexual ethics (also referred to as sexual morality) refers to those aspects of ethics that deal with issues arising from all aspects of sexuality and human sexual behaviour.

Broadly speaking, sexual ethics relates to community and personal standards relating to the conduct of interpersonal relationships, and deals with issues of consent, sexual relations before marriage and/or while married, including issues of marital fidelity and premarital and non-marital sex, issues related to sexuality, questions about how gender and power are expressed through sexual behavior, questions about how individuals relate to society, and questions about how individual behavior impacts public health concerns.

Ethical dilemmas which involve sex can often appear in situations where there is a significant power difference or where there is a pre-existing professional relationship between the participants, when there is an age difference, or where consent is partial or uncertain.

Sexual ethics can also include the ethics of procreation.

Consent

Consent is a key issue in sexual ethics.
Almost all systems of ethics insist, as a minimum, that all participants consent to a sexual activity.
Sexual ethics (which is reflected in laws) also considers whether a person is capable of giving consent and the sort of acts they can consent to.
In western countries, the legal concept of "informed consent" often sets the public standards on this issue.
Children, the mentally handicapped, the mentally ill, animals, and people under the influence of drugs or alcohol might be considered in certain situations as lacking an ability to give an informed consent.
Another issue surrounding consent is who is legally entitled not to give, or to withdraw, sexual consent.
Rape of a wife by a husband remains legal in many countries, and was long legal in many others, because the law of those countries considers consent to marriage the equivalent of consent to sex.
In the United States, Maouloud Baby v. State of Maryland is a state court case ruling that a person can withdraw sexual consent, and that continuing sexual activity in the absence of consent constitutes rape.

Sexual acts which are illegal, and often considered unethical, because of the absence of consent include rape and molestation.

Marriage

See also: Marriage and Fornication
In all cultures, consensual sexual intercourse is acceptable within marriage.
Some cultures do exist in which sexual intercourse is controversial, if not totally unacceptable outside of marriage.

As the philosopher Michel Foucault has noted, such societies often create spaces or heterotopias outside of themselves where sex outside of marriage can be practised. According to his theory this was the reason for the often unusual sexual ethics displayed by persons living in brothels, asylums, onboard ships, or in prisons. Sexual expression was freed of social controls in such places whereas within society, sexuality has been controlled through the institution of marriage which socially sanctions the sex act. Many different types of marriage exist, but in most cultures that practice marriage, extramarital sex without the approval of the partner is often considered to be unethical. There are a number of complex issues that fall under the category of marriage.

Incarceration in the United States is one of the main forms of punishment and/or rehabilitation for the commission of felony and other offenses.
The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world.
At year-end 2009 it was 743 adults incarcerated per 100,000 population.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) 2,266,800 adults were incarcerated in U.S. federal and state prisons, and county jails at year-end 2010 — about 0.7% of adults in the U.S. resident population.
Additionally, 4,933,667 adults at year-end 2009 were on probation or on parole.
In total, 7,225,800 adults were under correctional supervision (probation, parole, jail, or prison) in 2009 — about 3.1% of adults in the U.S. resident population.

Enthusiastic consent is typically the focus of liberal sexual ethics, rather than marriage.

Registered sex offenders in Charlotte, North Carolina

According to our research of North Carolina and other state lists there were 804 registered sex offenders living in Charlotte as of November 02, 2012.
The ratio of number of residents in Charlotte to the number of sex offenders is 882 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.

additionally: crimereports.com

A former member
Post #: 945
If we are modeling with the use of punishment by the use of incarceration in prison for a more socially adjusted person what may we use to account for the effectiveness of this model.

Would other models for rehabilitation also be as effective to the desired goal of a more socially adjusted person for the health and well being for us in society now and also into the future as well.
What models are those?
And, how would we test their effectiveness and generate greater accuracy in their usages.

Harry Frederick Harlow (October 31, 1905 – December 6, 1981) was an American psychologist best known for his maternal-separation and social isolation experiments on rhesus monkeys, which demonstrated the importance of care-giving and companionship in social and cognitive development.
He conducted most of his research at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, where humanistic psychologist Abraham Maslow worked for a time with him.

Harlow's experiments were controversial; they included rearing infant macaques in isolation chambers for up to 24 months, from which they emerged severely disturbed.
Some researchers cite the experiments as a factor in the rise of the animal liberation movement in the United States.[citation needed]

The Origins of Violence: Is Psychopathy an Adaptation?

Violence has been attributed to many causes including mental illness, brain damage, child abuse, and social deprivation.
This article provides a brief overview of some recent work on sociopathy and psychopathy and argues that models of violence, and explanations of violent acts such as rape and homicide, need to accommodate the possibility that a large proportion of such acts are committed by individuals whose psychology is very different to that of the general population.

The origins of violence - Nurturing nature - The first study has just been published showing how a particular gene and a particular environment interact to produce violent individuals

FEW debates in human biology have been as acrimonious as the one between genetic determinists and social determinists of behaviour.
For decades each side, convinced of its own correctness, and the policy implications of that correctness, refused to see any merit in the arguments of the other.
But the past few years have seen a reconciliation of sorts, and the emergence of a grudging understanding that although environment—particularly childhood environment—undoubtedly shapes an individual's behaviour, how it does so may depend on the individual's genetic make-up.

Until now, though, that reconciliation has been backed only by hazy data.
This week sees the publication of a clear-cut case—a paper showing that the degree of expression of a gene implicated in the development of aggression does indeed interact with a person's early circumstances to shape a violent or a pacific personality.

Terrie Moffitt, of the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College, London, and her colleagues, picked MAOA, the gene for a protein called monoamine oxidase-A, for their study, which has just been published in Science.
Monoamine oxidase-A is an enzyme that breaks down members of an important group of neurotransmitters, the molecules that carry signals between nerve cells.
These neurotransmitters include dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine, all of which help to regulate a person's mood.

There is abundant evidence that a reduced level of monoamine oxidase-A (and therefore an elevated level of these neurotransmitters) results in violent behaviour.
There is also evidence that chronically low levels early in life result in an individual who is more than averagely predisposed to react violently to any given situation in adulthood, regardless of monoamine-oxidase levels at the time.

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,720
What is a crime against nature?
A former member
Post #: 949

What is a crime against nature?

are you pointing out the state of affairs that we are knowingly knowing we're doing things wrong and knowing we know we're not going to acknowledge the necessary course corrections to make things better for everyone.

A course correction to limit some of the perhaps reachable needless pain, suffering, and early death.

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,721
No, I'm trying to understand what crime is, and what nature is, and what a crime against nature is.
Derik T.
user 23955602
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 144
(Side note: I challenge anyone to give me a rational, intelligent argument against prostitution.)

Hi Holly,

I found your post incredibly touching--if only fathers the world over showed their children half the love you have for your son, the world would be unrecognizably better than that one in which we find ourselves today!

Per your above challenge, I'll have a go. Put succinctly, prostitution encourages a positive feedback loop to occur around the volume of people enslaved to other people and/or to harmful addictions. The progression goes something like:
- A man is addicted to sex
- He hires a prostitute, activates the reward center of his brain, the reward is less than the last encounter, and so the addiction grows stronger
- The prostitute, addicted to crack cocaine, takes the money to her pimp to get one more hit
- The pimp, a shrewd slave owner, give the prostitute less crack each visit (or increases the price of a hit over time) to extract more money from the prostitute
- And the cycle continues...

Three people, three types of slavery: sexual addiction, narcotic addiction, and human-over-human slavery. If you'd agree with me that slavery is wrong, perhaps you'd agree that prostitution's amplificatory role in the above cycle is also wrong?