addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › SUGGESTED TOPICS FOR OUR MEETINGS

SUGGESTED TOPICS FOR OUR MEETINGS

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,673
Probably related to the above is the topic: Ethical vs Legal
A former member
Post #: 41
At what point would we cease to be human, with increasing augmentation of the human brain through technology and science? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

in my opinion, paradoxes like this result from dualistic thinking. exist vs non exist and human vs non human.

obviously there is no "absolute truth". not even the absolute truth that there is no absolute truth.

"The time has come to do justice to an underestimated and much-maligned thinker by bringing out to what extent Protagoras is the odd man out in a Greek tradition of ‘thinking in terms of a distinction between appearance and reality, between mind and body, between intellect and sense’, and is closer to modern habits of ‘thinking of ourselves, in the wake of Darwin, as what Nietzsche called clever animals, who find cleverer and cleverer ways of talking about what is going on, and cleverer and cleverer ways of dealing with what is going on"

Richard Rorty

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,783
Will, it seems to me you would be especially interested in the book on the mind-body problem.
A former member
Post #: 993

Had horses been able to vote, there would have never been cars

Please jump to 46:10 - 49:00 (regarding above quote)

Automation Causes Unemployment!

A horse has lets say has one specific skill of galloping(running).

A human has lets say has multiple skills walking, running, and driving.

So, if horses were voting on whether to have cars to drive they would not vote so.
Since driving would not benefit a horse.
A human would vote to drive as humans may learn to drive and driving may benefit humans.

A former member
Post #: 20
I would like to attend a meeting where there is not a vote, where the meeting is on the discussion of philosophy, the non-provable science of thought. A meeting where every opinion has a voice and every disagreement is offered equal time. I do not require anyone to agree with me, what I do require is your honest reply as you will get only my honest reply. We meet, we discuss, and we walk away, this is the meeting I would like.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,938
I would like to attend a meeting where there is not a vote,
Why, Chuck? We vote only on what the topic is to be about, and that is because we want, as much as possible, for the topic to be of maximal interest and importance to all who are present for the discussion. What would you propose as an alternative method, and why?
where the meeting is on the discussion of philosophy,
It always is.
the non-provable science of thought.
That is an interesting definition, but it does not convey a meaning of philosophy that seems to be similar to what most people mean. Perhaps you could explain what you mean by “provable.”
A meeting where every opinion has a voice
That is what we do, although some are more talkative than others. We do try to make sure that everyone has a chance, and that people who feel very strongly the urge to contribute are able to do so.
and every disagreement is offered equal time.
Now Chuck! How would you go about accomplishing that? In fact, what in the world do you mean by it? Disagreement is the having of difference of opinion. So you are saying that every difference of opinion about anything should be given the same amount of time for discussion? And we have so many differences of opinion! Who is supposed to anticipate that number and divide it into 120 minutes?? I can tell you that I am unable to take on that responsibility.
I do not require anyone to agree with me,
Good! Because that is the philosophy of our discussion group.
what I do require is your honest reply as you will get only my honest reply.
I try not only to be honest, but also understandable.
We meet, we discuss, and we walk away, this is the meeting I would like.
Well, you are welcome to come again, but I understand that you live an enormous distance away, and that your attendance at that one meeting was necessarily not likely to be repeatable. I can imagine that you may feel bad that even after you were allowed an unusual amount of time to explain what you meant by the topic you were proposing, the group voted to discuss something else, but there are lots of times when the topic I propose is not the one that is decided by group vote to be discussed, either. Nevertheless, please feel free to make use of our message board, to assist ourselves and you in gaining even greater clarity of thought and skill in communication. That’s what we are about.
A former member
Post #: 43
I appreciate your exaggerations and your condescension, I go dark for 2014 so I can only reply until the midnight on the 31st. Is there a real question you wish to ask, just curious old son?
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,978
Yes. Why are you planning not to participate here during 2014?
A former member
Post #: 47
It is personal, you are a good man Bill.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,989
Wish i knew if you are.