addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › HUMANIANITY: The Most Important Religion

HUMANIANITY: The Most Important Religion

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,924
Chuck, I am responding two your last two posts.
We appear to be some sort of Christian tradition, is that the best you have Bill?
Yes, and maybe I'm wrong. The two of you have not really given much to go on.
You speak of exchange, offer me any truths that you believe, any truths?
My impression is that you have some sort of meaning for the word "truths," that makes you feel like you have some, as opposed to others. That is only an impression. You could help me become more accurate in my understanding of you if you would tell us what you mean by "truths." Charles Sanders Peirce wrote somewhere that he regarded "truth" as "that opinion toward which all opinion would tend if it tended indefinitely toward fixity." I don't find the term to be very useful, because it is ambiguous, and because sentences that include it tend to have "hidden assumptions."
We can then begin dialogue on that basis.
Or, you could do the same.
Books were written in the past, let me know what you know today and I will speak about what we know today.
I do not know what you mean. I don't believe that I have referred to books other than my own, and those still state what I currently believe, as far as I can remember. I have taken special care in being as clear as possible in those books, so when what I intend to express has already been written in one of the books, it is far easier to copy and paste, rather than writing the same thing all over again. You should feel welcome to do that as far as your books are concerned, also.
Whatever it is that we don't know will take care of itself.
See, maybe you believe that you are being very clear, because whatever you mean is apparent to you, but I do not believe this is clear to anyone else, and that if you ask 10 people what it meant, you would get quite a few different answers. But what I have come to understand is that you do not wish to be clear. You make ambiguous, cryptic statements, and expect people to puzzle over them and thereby benefit in some way. And maybe that does work for some people. Todd indicated that he got something out of it.

Two more items, your comment on our mistakes can be really big is juvenile, our mistakes cause people to die.
Again, I cannot understand you. You seem to be saying that you don't agree that our mistakes can be really big, but then it seems like you are saying that our mistakes cause people to die. I think more and more of us are beginning to believe that we have to make some very important decisions to head off some really bad disasters in the future. Are you saying that you do not agree?
Secondly, your regard for Todd is disrespectful.
Please quote what I have said that was disrespectful, so that I can understand in what way it was disrespectful, if it was. That was not my intention.
He addressed you in good faith, looking for intelligence, all you offered was biased opinion, I would have expected better.
I do not think that you have ever given any evidence that you "expect better." I would like to know how you make the distinction between "intelligence" and "biased opinion."

Your comment that someone is watching, yes I'm watching and growing tiresome.
I don't know what statement I made that this refers to, unless it refers to "the powers that be" that I made reference to that apparently took some action with regard to you and Todd.
Man up Bill, this is not a chat room, the folks you are talking to are real, with all of the trappings that reality has to offer.
That is an interesting comment. In what way is this not a "chat room"? What is the difference between a "chat room" and a "message board"? Does it have to do with the topics discussed, or the ways in which they are discussed? Or does it have to do with something else?

You in your sanctimonious regard would declare me to be anything is an insult.
I don't believe that I have declared you to be anything. I have speculated that you are probably Christian, but maybe I am incorrect. Could you tell us?
You would be money ahead to categorize yourself and let the rest of us fend for ourselves.
I do not know what you mean by "fending," but I will categorize myself. I have said that I was "polyidiopseudotheistic pragmatacistico-ethical secular humanistic optimistic existentialist,” but I now have simplified it to “Christian Humanian.”
I am who I have always been. And I would suggest old son, that you have been whom you have always been.
I do not think so. I believe I have been growing throughout my life, and am drastically different from the way that I was earlier in my life. And most of the molecules in my body, and many of the cells, have been replaced. I am not 100% different, but I certainly am not 100% the same.
A former member
Post #: 19
Really? Your genetic material has changed with age, good luck with that, doctor....
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,936
Now, Chuck! If you were the same as you have always been, you would still be in diapers. No, you would be a fertilized egg. And don't you know that who you are is the result of the interaction of that basic genetic material with the environment that you happen to have become an adult in? Do you not know how important the environment is in programming your central nervous system? Do you not know that you are a creation of your environment, which has worked on you as a sculptor works on his material? Yes, you can join those who are working on you, and even eventually become the most important of those people in the creation of your self, but that requires understanding--it requires your environment programming your prefrontal cortex so that it becomes a good supervisor of your basic animal nature. So I am among those who are working on you, and I invite you to work on me and help me become the person I am trying to become. (But to do that, you will have to stick around!)
A former member
Post #: 22
You assume a great deal as you know a great deal, but you knowledge has its limits. You presume that because of your profession that you may know all men and yet you do not. You presume that yours is for the greater good while it is not. You presume that you know when you do not. You believe in your mind that you know humanity when your own humanity has escaped you. I have no malice, doubt, frustration, anxiety, hatred, need, want, I'm running out of words for things I don't have, what I do have are answers. I see you Bill and because I see you I will 'stick around'. Keep in mind old son that I have no magic, no ;gift from above', I am only one guy that has learned a few things over the years. I could tell you what you want to know but the time for hearing has passed. We can argue back and forth for as long as you like, its cool with me.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,950
You assume a great deal as you know a great deal, but you knowledge has its limits. You presume that because of your profession that you may know all men and yet you do not.
What statement(s) have I made that lead you to state this about me?
You presume that yours is for the greater good while it is not.
To what are you referring? What specifically are you disagreeing with, and why?
You presume that you know when you do not.
Again, to what are you referring?
You believe in your mind that you know humanity when your own humanity has escaped you.
What do you mean by my humanity having escaped me?
I have no malice, doubt, frustration, anxiety, hatred, need, want, I'm running out of words for things I don't have, what I do have are answers.
So let’s hear some examples. I know you are trying to sell your books (understandably and appropriately), but surely that does not preclude your engaging in dialogue with others about your ideas, right?
I see you Bill and because I see you I will 'stick around'.
But Chuck, you never do, and as I write this, you are gone again, just “a former member.” How is this making the world a better place? Or why are you doing it?
Keep in mind old son
You keep using this phrase, “old son,” in referring to me. Am I right that it is a demeaning phrase? Why are you doing that? What are you trying to accomplish?
that I have no magic, no ;gift from above', I am only one guy that has learned a few things over the years. I could tell you what you want to know but the time for hearing has passed.
What in the world does that mean? And is it consistent with your next statement?
We can argue back and forth for as long as you like, its cool with me.
And with that, you leave, once again!

How sure are you that you are free of “malice, doubt, frustration, anxiety, hatred, need, want”? I for one have great difficulty understanding your motivation, but it does not seem to me to be that of developing deeper understanding and more effective communication in the area of philosophy. Please come back and engage in meaningful dialogue.
Sumi Nas A.
user 119939902
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 5
(pssst...we all have magic....look inside the hat)
A former member
Post #: 29
since magic does not exist, what's under the hat?
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1,965
Are we in agreement as to what meaning we are assigning to "magic"?
Sumi Nas A.
user 119939902
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 10
Magic exists…David Copperfield has $800,000,000 to prove it.
Sumi Nas A.
user 119939902
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 11
Chuck…only you know the answer to that…but be careful…if you chose to look…for you may find a faulty premise.