addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › HUMANIANITY: The Most Important Religion

HUMANIANITY: The Most Important Religion

Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2,052
Life is the acquisition of energy to move matter to make more life, i.e., evolution itself, where my definition of "life" is not limited to DNA-based organisms.
The problem is that this statement, in which you are defining "life," is not understandable (at least by me). When you use the term "acquisition," you are implying that something is doing something (acquiring) and when you say "to move" you are, according to conventional language, implying purpose on the part of an agent ("in order to move"), but who or what that agent is is not made clear. Scientific, physical models of Reality do not make use of agents that have the "free will" to do certain things in order to accomplish certain things. You are, it seems, combining the free-will model with the deterministic model of Reality, these two ways of modeling being incompatible. To understand better what I am talking about, I recommend you read my (free, readable on-line) book about the mind-body problem and free will vs. determinism problem:

The Book
A former member
Post #: 3
By "acquisition" I am including the possibility of releasing the energy of fossil fuels or plant matter, as well as capturing photons with solar cells, or releasing fission energy, and whatever other method I am not aware of. My thinking (if not my language) could apply to a virus as well as a man, so I do not assume free will or consciousness. I also do not assume causation because I am not aware that causation exists in physics. If the matter moves in our perception of the direction of time to form copies or pseudo-copies of the machines we create, I do not have any physics knowledge that says we chose these creations anymore than the creations directed equal and opposite forces backwards in time to eventually create our "decision" to "create". But all of my language and objectives contain the assumption of consciousness and free will on the part of myself and those reading what I write because I have no other "common sense" (correct or not) way to conceive of reality or to communicate with others. I use these assumptions in order to find work and eat, however much in error my thinking may be.
A former member
Post #: 4
Concerning the mind-body problem, I had thought it was a largely closed subject due to the question not being properly formed. As an engineer, I do not think about it as a problem because I can potentially program a machine to do any mental tasks that I can understand well enough to logically speak about and others have programs (like neural nets) that can do many things I can't explain better than "intuition". I can't address any other mind problems logically except to theorize. If I can program it, then I've used a deterministic viewpoint to carry out a mind task, with the understanding that only the errors of classical physics thinking are deterministic. I view myself as seemingly randomnly choosing all my paths, following whatever genes, circumstances, and training have endowed me with, modified by thermal fluctuations which are ultimately based on quantum fluctuations. This is the closest thing I can conceive of as free will. If I say things to influence others with similar dispositions and circumstances, I do not think of them as having more "free will" than this either.