addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Charlotte Philosophy Discussion Group Message Board › Knowledge and the Gettier Problem

Knowledge and the Gettier Problem

Paul
cold-blue
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has an excellent analysis of what it means to know something. I recommend reading Knowledge as Justified True Belief (1) and each of its subsections (1.1-1.3), and The Gettier Problem (3), which challenges this conception of knowledge. Additionally, here is an in-depth look of the Gettier problem.
Nicole P.
user 270707082
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 1
Thanks, Paul. If I didn't know that I didn't know something, but what I did know was (in fact) true for a different reason than what I formed my knowledge from, it seems to still be "knowledge" and "true". However, I am thinking that it wouldn't be knowledge for me, but is "universal" knowledge that I haven't yet discovered personally. Ugh...brain hurting :)… Thanks for sharing.
Bill Van F.
wvanfleet
Group Organizer
Charlotte, NC
Post #: 2,243
Is the meaning of "know" the same in all of the following?
I know Judy.
I know a fair amount of algebra.
I know I exist.
I know God exists.
I know that it rained some yesterday.
I know that I will screw this one up.
I know that this effort will fail, because it always has in the past.
I know the meaning of "know."
I know that I don't know anything.
I know that "knowledge" can have multiple meanings and is used in multiple ways.

BTW, truth is that opinion toward which all opinion would tend if it tended indefinitely toward fixity. (By Charles Sanders Peirce, though I don't know the exact source to give.)

What does "universal knowledge" mean?

The term "knowledge" is related to the more fundamental term "belief."
https://humanianity.c...­

IMO