P.O. Box 22287, Tampa, FL
Above: The crew on last year's trip
RSVP's open Sunday, November 13th at 9:00 PM
The total price of the trip is $895. You must pay a $100 deposit when you RSVP.
Rick and Chuck's Excellent Florida Adventure: Tampa
Rick and Chuck are once again getting out of Dodge and heading to Florida this March for a week-long paddling adventure. You really should consider joining us. Here’s why.
Location Ave March High Ave March Low Water Temp
Balt/Wash 54 34 42
Tampa 78 60 70
Or, consider this “winter” paddling scene in Florida:
Above: The beach at Anclote Key
What We’re Up To
This is going to be a great adventure with lots of paddling, wonderful comraderie and a boat load of laughs! We are going to do seven different day paddles in the Florida sunshine and warmth, while people are freezing their you know what off up here. We'll be doing day paddles from a luxury vacation rental home just north of Tampa. We’ll make dinner and/or go out to some of the fantastic restaurants in the Tampa, St Petersburg area. There are three new paddles on this trip that are different than last year. And there is no camping component this year. We will be in the house for all seven nights.
Above: The mangrove trail at Weedon Island Preserve. Cheryl of course is going the wrong way.
This will all be day trips of about 10 to 15 miles each. We’re going to paddle in a different place every day. The trips will include:
· Go directly from the airport to Weedon Island Preserve for a 10 mile paddle that includes a mile long mangrove tunnel trail that is acknowledged as one of the best in the state
· A 12-15 mile trip on the Myakka River where monstrous alligators over 10 feet in length along with roseate spoonbills and 250 other species of birds are commonly seen. The abundance of wildlife here is amazing.
The sugar white sandy beaches at Fort Desoto
· A 10 mile loop around the sugar white, palm tree lined sandy beaches of old Fort DeSoto which has been voted one of America's Best Beaches.
· A 12 mile circumnavigation of the usually deserted beaches of Anclote Key State Preserve with it's 19th century lighthouse and where dolphins are sometimes seen breaking the waters just off shore
· A one way 12 to 14 mile shuttled trip on the Weeki Wachie River where we should be virtually guaranteed some manatee sightings.
· A 10 to 12 mile trip on a section of the Withlacoochie River. The World Wildlife Fund listed the Withlacoochee State Forest as one of the "10 Coolest Places You've Never Been in North America".
· A 10 to 12 mile trip to Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands where pods of dolphins are regularly seen.
If you want to take a day off from paddling and just hang out on the beach or sightsee, that’s fine too.
Above: Kayak jousting on the Weeki Wachie River where we WILL see manatees this year
We'll be staying in a 8 BR, 5 bath palatial house about 15 minutes north of Tampa. The house sits on a small lake, has lots of parking, and has a huge screened-in porch, a swimming pool and a hot tub! Last year one person in the group learned to roll in that pool!
The cost of the trip is $895, which is a pretty incredible price for a week of paddling in Florida. The price includes seven nights in the rental house (shared rooms for single people), pick up and drop off at the airport (if you fly down), all in-course transportation, guiding and (some, informal) instruction. It also includes the first night's dinner and breakfast and lunch on the second day.
The basic cost does not include: getting to/from the Tampa area or food during the trip (except as noted above). Food costs will vary widely, depending on how much you go out to eat vs. cooking at the house.
Note: Airfare from BWI to Tampa is unbelievably inexpensive right now (about $325 r/t). If you fly, you should plan to arrive at the Tampa airport by 11 AM on Sunday March 19. You should plan to return after 9 AM on Sunday March 26th. Hopefully some of you will consider driving though.
Above: Roseate spoonbills on the Myakka River
1. We can transport your boat down and back for $80 round trip.
2. You can rent a boat from Chuck for $80 for the week, transportation included. Chuck's rental boats for 2017 are truly some of the best boats money can buy including the brand new for 2017 P&H Scorpio as well as his Vally/North Shore Atlantics which many of you are familiar with. Both are available in different sizes to fit you perfectly. They are comfortable, stable and have excellent handling characteristics.
3. Single people can get a private room for a $250 single supplement.
4. One day of surfing/rougher water instruction may be available for qualified people for $95. (Minimum of two people needed).
Above: A huge alligator on the Myakka River
A $100 Non-Rrefundable Deposit is required at the time you RSVP. The balance is due no later than 1/15/2017. A full refund (less the $100.00 Non-Refundable Deposit) of the balance paid will be given if you cancel by 1/18/2015. A 50% refund of the balance paid will be given if you cancel between 1/19 and 2/18/2017. There will be no refunds for cancellations after 2/19/2017.
Above: Paddling out to Anclote Key
Trip details including full itinerary, meeting times/places, clothing and equipment lists etc. will be provided in a meeting a few weeks before we depart.
Above: Paddling back from Anclote Key
You can post questions here or send them to Rick at [masked]
Above: A great blue heron at the launch for Weedon Preserve
Above: It's almost impossible to NOT have fun on this trip
Above: Roseate spoonbills at Myakka River
Above: A harmless water snake in the mangroves at Weedon Preserve.
Above: The light at Anclote Key
I love being outdoors and active - looking for fun folks to share with!
Every paddle surely adds it's story to the Journey...
I'm Gregg, aka "Wudder-Dawg" . I'm into Curls .........
CKA is the BEST! I love kayaking fishing and anything in or near the water.
There is nothing more enjoyable than exploring a new place by kayak
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.