**RSVPs will be opened manually at 5/14/19 at 9:30 am** The RSVP date by meetup is incorrect.
This is a weekend trip combining hiking and canoe/kayaking along the scenic Manistee River Trail in Michigan. The trip opens to anyone with camping experiences. Prior camping experience required.
Please read the following information carefully before signing up.
Friday: Car camp at an established campground. Detail to be provided.
Saturday: Day hike on Manistee River Trail. We will have an option of hiking 10 to 12 miles or 23 miles.
Sunday: Early Rise! Break camp and hike 2 miles to Consumers Power Canoe Portage at Hodenpyl Dam to pick up our boats and begin a gentle 4-hour paddle, concluding at Red Bridge where we will have a car parked. We will shuttle cars and make a quick stop at the rental shop before grabbing lunch as a group on the way back to Chicago.
- Canoe/Double Kayak: $20/person
- Single Kayak: $40/person
- Meetup fee: $5/person
- Boat transportation fee: $3 per person
- Campsite: $10 per person
- Gasoline and tolls split with your carpool. Note that if we end up having to rent the car, the rental cost will be split among every one without the car.
$28 RSVP fee via PayPal. This fee includes the $5 Meetup fee, $10 boat deposit, $ 3 boat transportation fee, and $10 campsite fee.
You will need to bring cash to the trip to pay for the remaining boat rental fee. The amount will depend on your choice of a canoe or kayak. We'll settle up during the trip.
Please indicate your preference for a single-person kayak, tandem kayak, or to share a canoe on the message board. The single-person kayaks are "sit-in" or "sit-on-top ". The tandem kayak is "sit-in". We will do our best to accommodate your preference but reserve the right to make the final arrangements as needed. If you don't indicate your preference when signing up, you will default to a sit-on-top single kayak.
1. Please note that no refunds will be issued, so please carefully review the trip details before signing up.
2. We practice Leave No Trace and expect that all participants follow LNT guidelines (http://lnt.org).
3. Organizers are volunteers, not guides. Each participant is responsible for obtaining and carrying his/her own meals and gear.
4. While on the trail, we function as a group. We expect each participant to be a contributing member to group tasks such as gathering wood, filtering water, etc.
5. No Add-Ons. Everyone must be signed up under their own Meetup account. Also, no minors, dogs, or other dependents are permitted.
6. If RSVPs fill up, please post a note in the comment section about your interest in attending the trip. These comments will be used to fill any spots that open.
7. While organizers and other trip participants may help to facilitate trip planning and logistics, each trip participant must know his/her own capabilities and is solely responsible for his/her own safety.
Please contact an Organizer if you have any questions! Thank you.
Hui and Michelle