addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › Ranges: Making the Next Abstraction of Iteration Accessible

Ranges: Making the Next Abstraction of Iteration Accessible

Nevin ":-)" L.
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 32
Topic:
"Ranges: Making the Next Abstraction of Iteration Accessible"

Tuesday March 1st
DRW Trading Group
540 W Madison St
3rd floor cafeteria
5:30-6:30 meet/greet/food/etc
6:30-7:30 presentation

Description:
Recent years have seen a rise in the popularity of treating containers, streams, arrays, or even ranges of numbers, through the abstraction of "ranges". Boost, as well as others, have implemented several versions of ranged-based STL-algorithm replacements. Andrei Alexandrescu at Boost Con 2009 and Alexander Stepanov in his 2009 book "Elements of Programming" have each proposed models of range-based iteration with drastically different focuses. Meanwhile, adoption seems slow, and range based code looks ugly.

This presentation will summarize the discussion of ranges, asking the question: "When we begin to think in terms of ranges, what semantics or utilities can we introduce to improve the mental model, reduce code duplication, detect errors earlier, and even improve performance?" A preliminary model for reaching this goal will be proposed, and a partial implementation with Boost and C++0x, provided.

This talk will introduce some new C++0x features that will make range-based-programming feel natural. However, C++0x knowledge is not required for this talk. Some basic knowledge of STL algorithms is helpful, but also not required.

About the author:
Robert Douglas is a C++ enthusiast with experience developing for Medical Imaging, Bioinformatics, and Financial Trading applications. A graduate of the University of Michigan, Robert has focused particularly on GUI development, more broadly interested in human-computer interfacing, be that by an application user, or a library consumer. Personally, Robert grew up throughout the snow-covered lands of Michigan, now residing in Chicago, IL. Robert enjoys the humor of life, especially when talking in the third person while writing self-referencing author-bio's.

For presentation slides and example code, please visit Roberts page at http://www.douglasclaxton.name/­ shortly before. (The website is new and currently under construction)
Marcin Z.
marcinzalewski
Bloomington, IN
Post #: 3
Will there be any way of remote viewing of the presentation? A laptop with a webcam aimed at the presenter would suffice.

-m
Jay F. S.
Shachter
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
I have this meeting on my calendar and plan to attend.
Are we going to have a February meeting too? Did we
have a January meeting?
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 49
I have this meeting on my calendar and plan to attend.
Are we going to have a February meeting too? Did we
have a January meeting?

We plan to stick to our 4th Tuesday schedule, with occasional exceptions as needed.

This March 1 exception avoids conflict with election day in Chicago. You can think of it as the February meeting.

The frequency of meetings will depend upon the availability of high-quality programs. If we have enough speakers we can meet every month, but rather than compromise quality we prefer to meet bi-monthly or quarterly.

Volunteers?
Rob D.
user 13296813
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Sorry for the delay, everyone. I am still working on the slides, but will have the code basis available tomorrow via svn, at:
https://subversion.as...­

In the meantime, there are a couple of sites you may be interested in:
A fun interview with the original STL author, Alexander Stepanov:
http://www.stlport.org/resources/StepanovUSA.html­

Andrei Alexandrescu's "Iterators Must Go" talk at BoostCon 2009:
http://boostcon.blip.tv/file/2432106/­
Rob D.
user 13296813
Chicago, IL
Will there be any way of remote viewing of the presentation? A laptop with a webcam aimed at the presenter would suffice.

-m

My apologies, but unless someone has a simple way to do this, I am not planning to have such a setup ready for the presentation.
Marcin Z.
marcinzalewski
Bloomington, IN
Post #: 4
I should clarify. I do not mean a live viewing, but just a recording. If anyone has a small digital camcorder or just a webcam on their laptop, that would probably suffice.
Jim B
JimmBelll
Chicago, IL
I'm bummed that I missed the talk last night. Overcome by events. crying
Rob D.
user 13296813
Chicago, IL
Post #: 3
My apologies, but no taping took place. I would like that to be a topic considered at the admin meeting in a couple months. Perhaps we could see about putting together a video history of presentations.