addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Machine Learning Study Group Message Board › Thoughts About Our Group

Thoughts About Our Group

Duane J.
user 12526883
Salt Lake City, UT
Post #: 2
Hi Everyone!

I'll be conducting our first study group, and want to get some input from you before our meeting on Wednesday.

I envision this group as a supplement to voracious readers and self-learners. In particular, I'm hoping that a real-life meeting will benefit each of us by giving us everything a university classroom can, minus books and a professor. For example:

- A time to meet people with shared interest in machine learning and make friends in this unique field of study
- An opportunity to watch and learn from the way others think. For example, seeing someone derive equations on the board is a process that teaches how to think about a problem as much as a product that shows the answer. Another example might be giving someone time to explain how graphical models helped them solve a particular problem and why they chose this method over others.
- A forum for questions and queries among peers
- Place to exchange "new and interesting" developments in the field. Each of us has undoubtedly spent time independently sorting through vast amounts of information. We can capitalize on this by providing context and sharing any "gems" we've found.
- Creative brainstorming e.g. how we can apply graphical models to solve world hunger, or some other noble pursuit (build a business, fix the economy, etc. etc. :)

So my question for you is, What do you envision our group to do? And if you agree with some or all of the above, how can we make our meetup a success?