This meetup is for military veterans who are active in (or would like to become active in) the Big Data space. Veterans of the Big Data space can meet, network, and share "war" stories of their times implementing Big Data solutions, as well as mentoring opportunities.
Military Veterans who are looking to get into this space will find great mentors who can direct their efforts in a rapidly evolving Big Data landscape. We seek to partner with other meetups- you provide content, we'll provide quality attendance. Big Data is a great space to get into because 1) lots of money sloshing around, 2) things change so quickly- you too can be a 'Veteran' of Big Data in just a few months, if you focus on the right things.
Who we are
We are an organization dedicated to helping veterans thrive in the Big Data community.
• For veterans new to Big Data:
• Mentor and provide guidance on the Big Data landscape.
• Understand the current landscape.
• Gain exposure to what is new and emerging.
• Partner with organizations that specialize in helping veterans develop skills to make them employable.
• Leverage Meetups and other open content to minimize ramp-up time for veterans seeking to gain valuable skills related to Big Data/data science.
• Introduce veterans to the open source community in order to:
• Provide relevant experience to veterans in the job market.
• Help strengthen open source communities.
For veterans already in Big Data
• Provide career advice / mentorship / networking.
• Provide a means to give back to the veteran community by helping others along the path.
• Help source employees to fill desperately needed roles in data science.
Trevor Grant - firstname.lastname@example.org - IBM
Joe Olsen - email@example.com - Westworld Andrew Weiner - firstname.lastname@example.org - Northwestern University