addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Arabic language, Culture & civilization Club Message Board › Where to learn Arabic?

Where to learn Arabic?

A former member
Post #: 1
The only "school" I've found so far in Chicago is Language Loop LLC (http://www.languagelo...­. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this school, or know of any other schools to check out? Thanks.

-Sion
A former member
Post #: 3
I agree that Chicago is scarce in regards to Arabic "schools" but I've found a couple options
depending on what your goal is:

-The Discovery Center has 5-6 week conversation courses in practical
Arabic for traveling. http://www.discoveryc...­
-Oakton Community College (and possibly other community colleges)
offer beginner courses that run on an academic calendar. http://www.oakton.edu...­
-The Downtown Islamic Center offers beginner and intermediate course but I don't know if they are open to non-Muslims. The teacher is a professor at DePaul Univ.
-The American Islamic College offers Arabic courses at very inexpensive rates. They used to
offer undergraduate degrees but now they basically offer Arabic and Islamic courses according to enrollment.
I suggest calling them as their website is out of date. Although their professors are Muslim and their name suggests religious affiliation they are open to all backgrounds and according to their representative try to approach Islam and Arabic from an objective view, making it very accessible for non-Muslims.
http://www.aicusa.edu...­ PH:773-281-4700
-University of Chicago offers summer intensive courses (open to visitors) up to high intermediate.
This would be the most academicly structured program I imagine. They are also the most expensive. I think their summer classes are full now, you can check.
http://summer.uchicag...­
-There are also private tutors that you could consider, like Hicham, the organizer of this Meetup. Personal attention and speaking time is a plus!

I haven't tried any of these options so I can't really recommend any one over the other but I hope this gets you started. Good Luck!
Ultimately though if you want to gain fluency pick an Arabic speaking country and go!

--Somy
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you very much for the info, it was very helpful! I'm also considering ArabAcademy.com which was mentioned in a previous post. I'll write again when I decide what I'm going to do...
gennevie
gennevie
Gurnee, IL
Post #: 44
I took two semesters of Arabic at the College of Lake County in Grayslake. At that time there was not enough interest in Arabic for the college to be able to have a 3rd and 4th semester but things might be different now since that was more than 3 or 4 years ago.

There may be other suburban community colleges that offer Arabic courses as well. Many of them have online registration and class schedules these days. If you were to check around the internet you might find many more options available to you if you are willing to travel outside the city.

Another suggestion would be to contact the Arabic instructors at CLC and Oakton by voicemail or email and ask them about other places where you can learn Arabic if you can't attend those schools. They probably know lots of places that teach arabic from having heard from thier students or friends/faculty.

hope this helps,
genn
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey thanks for your response. I'm really looking for something more accelerated as opposed to the traditional semester-long class method. And I'm looking for something within the city because I'm limited to evening classes and to drive out to the suburbs during rush hour would get old fast! But I think your suggestion about contacting the professors was good. If they have any helpful suggestions I'll be sure to post them here. Thanks again!
A former member
Post #: 4
Just thought I'd fill everyone in on the most attractive options I've found so far. All of the following are beginner courses:

Discovery Center
July 15th - August 19th (or August 26th - September 30th)
Saturdays from 2:30pm to 4:00pm
Total class time = 9 hours
Fee = $89 + $25 for materials = $114 (about $12.65/hr.)
No intermediate/advanced courses available upon completion.

Language Loop LLC
End of July start date (TBD); Class runs for 5 weeks
Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:00pm to 7:50pm
Total class time = 18.33 hours
Fee = $399 (all inclusive; about $21.75/hr.)
Intermediate course may be available upon completion, depending on level of interest.

American Islamic College
July 5th - August 23rd
Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:00pm to 8:00pm
Total class time = 45 hours
Fee = $600 + $25 registration fee + book fee ($40 approx.) = $665 approx. (about $14.75/hr.)
Intermediate/advanced courses available upon completion.

If anyone is interested in any of these please let me know. I could always use a study/conversation partner! Right now I'm leaning more towards the American Islamic College course because it seems like the most comprehensive, structured program and it's guaranteed that I could take further Arabic courses through them in the future.

-Sion
A former member
Post #: 6
Yesterday I started the Arabic lessons at American Islamic College. They are still accepting students if anyone is interested in signing up. See my previous post for the class info, etc. It's actually going to be 5:30pm to 8:30pm now. It seems like it's going to be a great course.
Linda
user 2993037
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Let me know how that class goes... I'm also trying to find a place to study Arabic, but I won't start until I get a job first....

Linda
Linda
user 2993037
Chicago, IL
Post #: 2
Also, regarding that American Islamic College, do you see non-Muslim women there? Is the content primarily religious?

Cheers
Linda
A former member
Post #: 7
The class is going very well. The teacher is friendly and helpful, and the books are easy to understand. So far I would highly recommend it.

As for the religious nature of the course/college, so far I haven't seen a single person who IS Muslim (other than the teacher, of course). Although it's summer so I haven't seen many people at all, and there are only 3 of us in my class (all non-Muslim). The school does offer courses on Islam, but the one I'm taking is just about the Arabic language. The Qur'an is occasionally used as a tool for getting a better understanding of the written language, but certainly not to preach its religious content. So basically I would say the course is all about the language with a little religion thrown in - which is unavoidable when learning Arabic. I am not a religious person, and I have no problem with how the course is being taught.

Hope this helps. Fall classes will be starting late August/early September. I suggest giving the school a call to find out more specific dates and prices (their number can be found in one of the posts above).

-Sion