addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Chess Message Board › Safety and Next week's Meetup

Safety and Next week's Meetup

Jae L.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 104
Thanks to all who extended their sympathies for my car being broken into last week. Of course it was quite shameless of me to broadcast it so, but I appreciate your well wishes.

I wanted to clear something up though. While in the last eight months to a year, my car was broken into three times, the most recent break-in was in my own neighborhood, in my own driveway. I'm currently looking into attending my local Beat meeting and participating in CAPS to try and promote a neighborhood watch. It's seems sad to me that it takes three break-ins for me to do something that I should have been doing for a while.

I say this because some might think that the neighborhood around the Mercury Cafe is unsafe. While the one break-in I experienced was disheartening to say the least, I don't want to give up on the Mercury. It's a great venue and I believe that the neighborhood would only get better and not worse as development continues. Also as the score stands (two break-in's at my home and one at Mercury,) my own neighborhood Roscoe Village seems to be more dangerous for my car than the area around the Mercury (of course I'm not being rigorous about this since I only spend 3 hours a week at the Mercury and most of my time at home.)

While we can discuss this back and forth, I do want you all to know that we are still looking for different venues for the Meetup and I've scoped out a few coffee houses a little further north. Though i'd still like to have at least one meetup at the Mercury as they have been so good to us through the first two years of our existence (well not quite 2 years yet.)

Next week we will have our meetup at the Touch Move Chess Center. While it won't primarily be a chess playing meetup (I wanted us to spectate the North American Chess Assoc.'s 8th FIDE Invitational.) We will be able to view some really spectacular games as local FIDE Masters battle it out for their International Title norms. There should be a place for us to play if we like and I'll have my computer out so that we can efficiently view all of the games being played on the Mon Roi Broadcast. If you come early you we can probably shoot the breeze with Sevan Muradian USCF's Chess Organizer of the year.

Good Chess to All,