addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Anne M.
AppleBlossomFarm
Stamford, CT
Post #: 2
I had gotten some 12 week old chicks in the Fall. I just noticed that one of them had a band that did not expand & her leg grew into the band. It is now all swollen & infected. What should I do? I cut away as much of the band as I could, but there is still a bit of the band inside the infected area.
Thanks,
Dave
Melina B.
Melina_B
Group Organizer
Stamford, CT
Post #: 144
Dave- you can either take the bird to the vet or you can remove it yourself.
I would use some bactine on it, wash it well and look at it closely. Lay the bird on her side on a clean table or the dishboard and cover her head with a towel. spray it liberally with bactine (it is one of the few numbing antiseptics that is safe for birds) and try to pick it out with tweezers. If that doesnt work, take some needle nosed pliers and soak them in alcohol and try to get it out. The end of the story is that they have to come out. after you get it out put neosporin on it and wrap it in vetwrap (available at petsmart or the feed store) wrap it securely but not too tight. Check it again in 4 or 5 days and change the dressing. It may heal right up and not need a dressing on it for longer than a few days.
If you cant do this, you can bring her to me and I can do it. I wont be able to keep her here but can do it in my kitchen and then give her back to you. If she were to stay here, I would want to isolate and then vaccinate her.
The thing has to come out, so you have to decide how you want to do it.
Leg bands are something that are necessary for some reasons but when the bird is in your flock you can remove them. I use small zip ties to mark birds that I have vaccinated or dusted. They are very easy to cut off with a small snip, color code and replace....Dont ever put them on very tightly..
Let me know how it goes.
and if she is fluffed up, or shows any sort of indication that there is a severe infection that may have spread to her body, she may need some further care. Keep her quiet in a box in the basement or garage until you can deal with this...and keep an eye on her. Its when the immune system is down due to something like this that they get mites or any number of things.
Melina
Anne M.
AppleBlossomFarm
Stamford, CT
Post #: 3
Hi Melina, I forgot to thank you! All went well. I did as you suggested. Got it out & cleaned & she is once again a happy camper. Thank you!
My latest malady I saw before a few years ago & it did not end well. One of my girls appears to almost have what would be described like a human fever. Her head is all matted like she's been sweating. She won't move, eats very little. Any thoughts on that one? Thanks for all your help & knowledge.
Melina B.
Melina_B
Group Organizer
Stamford, CT
Post #: 147
could it be mites? Check her carefully, separate her into a box in a quiet place and give her some food and water. is she eating? is she pooping? what does her vent look like? what is her crop like? what is her stomach like...palpate it firmly and see if it seems like an egg is stuck in there.
matted feathers may mean mites or lice which should be treated right away with poultry dust and/or frontline spray. You can wash her but dont immerse her in water....just run water over her.
look closely for the signs of bugs...there are pics here in the photos section.
get back to me and let me know what you see.
If you see bugs you need to treat the whole flock.
Anne M.
AppleBlossomFarm
Stamford, CT
Post #: 4
Hi Melina,
I had to put her down this morning. Her crop was turning black & bleeding slightly from the base. She had lots of small white bugs primarily around her head & neck at the base of the feathers. They were slightly smaller than a sesame seed & similar in color.
Dave.
Melina B.
Melina_B
Group Organizer
Stamford, CT
Post #: 148
Dave- lice...that was a bad lice outbreak. You can see how they can kill a bird.
You must now dust or spray all of you r birds. You could inject them with ivomec (at tractor supply with little needles) or pour on some cattle eprinex (also at tractor supply) or completely dust them with poultry and garden dust (wearing a mask)
Repeat in 4-5 days and again....be sure to clean your coops well and spray with 10% permethrin diluted or dust with garden dust at the bottoms of the boxes.
You will want to set yo a dust bath for them in a plastic bin.
This is a terrible way to lose birds and you could lose them all if you dont treat immediately.
Everyone needs to pick up their birds and look at them...check around the vent and neck and under the wings. You can look in the photos section here for pics of lice and mites...little clusters on eggs around the base of the feathers is a sign of lice. If you look closely for a little white you will see them scoot around. They kide when you move so you need to be patient to see them. But really, if you see them, dust your birds immediately. Everyone should have some dust...permethrin dust, not DE. DE does not work!
Dave...just so you know; a bleeding crop is no reason to put a bird down. If you had poured dust on her the bugs would have died immediately. If you had wormed her and repeated the dust or even injected her with ivomec (which I always have available here for emergencies) she probably would have recovered.
People are very quick to put birds down and most of these things can be fixed pretty easily. Chickens are hardy animals and they recover from things you wouldnt imagine.
Dont hesitate to contact me, by phone or email.
203-253-7575 melinabrown@optonline.net
sorry for your loss.
Check the rest of your birds because they will have these and it sounds like a bad infestation.
This is the time of year!!
Melina
Anne M.
AppleBlossomFarm
Stamford, CT
Post #: 5
Hi Melina,
Thanks for the advice. We've had chickens for years & never had any problems. Everybody has been dusted twice & it is under control. I've been adding the Permethrin dust once a week to their favorite dust bath spots around the property to keep it under control. It seems OK now. Thanks again! Dave.