addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 344
Lucifer-of-Sophia is one of our five Rising gods of the modern West. The name "Lucifer-of-Sophia" was coined by me to refer unambiguously to one of the various entities known as "Lucifer:" namely, the "Lucifer" who has been revered by many occultists. This "Lucifer" is seen as distinct from Satan, but is identified with a Gnostic-like view of the Serpent in the Garden of Eden myth. (We also have another "Lucifer" in our pantheon, Lucifer-Azazel, whom we see as the Air elemental aspect of Satan/Azazel, whereas Lucifer-of-Sophia is distinct from Satan.)

Regarding the Gnostic view of the "Serpent of Wisdom," see The Genesis Factor by Stephan A. Hoeller. Two relevant Gnostic scriptures are The Testimony of Truth and The Hypostasis of the Archons.

This thread is intended as a place to post sources of information about the "Lucifer" of occultists. At some point I may put together a bunch of relevant quotes myself, but it would be nice if others here could help out with this. If, when reading stuff by influential occultists, you come across references to a "Lucifer" as described above, I would appreciate it very much if you could post quotes and bibliographic information here.

Note: The Church of Azazel does not share the belief system of the ancient Gnostics. We do not believe that the physical universe was literally created by an evil "Demiurge." In the context of our veneration of Lucifer-of-Sophia, we will take the "Demiurge" to be a metaphor for the authoritarian, fundamentalist-like style of religion.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 596
For a whole bunch of 19th-century occult writings that mention Lucifer, see these Google search results for "Lucifer" on the Sacred Texts site.
Diane
DianeVera
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 632
For various mentions of Lucifer by the very influential 19th-century occultist Helena P. Blavatsky, see these Google search results on the website of the Theosophical Society.

For various mentions of Lucifer by Eliphas Levi, see these Google search results on the Sacred Text site.