Sunday February 19, 2017 AGENDA
CLIMATE CHANGE COMMITTEE
Sierra Club ANGELES CHAPTER
Committee Mission: Collaboration, Education, Advocacy and the Modeling of practical solutions to climate change.
· Intros + share why we are here today.
· Coastal Conservancy Grant – Update [Bob]
· PLASTICS IN WATERWAYS [Bob]
Building support for Upper Newport Bay Water Wheel project proposal.
o City of NB is moving forward to hire a consultant to prepare CEQA documents.
o Discuss next steps.
· EDUCATING ON PLASTICS [Steve]
Working to share with the public the film BAG IT: Is Your Life Too Plastic?
Can proceed with public showing
Discuss next step for public showing
§ Joint venture with OC Coastkeeper
· EDUCATING ON CLIMATE [Steve + Suvan]
o The new political reality means a change in approach and language. Putting the emphasis on outreach
§ Local Tabling Events
· GREAT AMERICAN WRITE-IN Sponsored by WOMEN FOR: ORANGE COUNTY SATURDAY, MARCH 12, 2016 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. DELHI COMMUNITY CENTER 505 E. Central Ave., Santa Ana 92707 [Suvan]
Networking and gathering signatures on postcards or letters written to the decision-makers who can make a difference for the environment.
Discuss our participation and signature topics, i.e:
o To: Orange County Department of Education: Our OC schools should provide support for teachers teaching science and climate change.
o Others? Suggestions welcome. Bring information on it and who we would want to mail to.
§ OC Storytelling Workshop - Creating a public narrative about the environment: called Cultivating Conservation:Saturday, March 11 at Orange County Coastkeeper Garden (3151 Airway Ave., Suite F-110, Costa Mesa). Reservations required. RSVP: http://angeles.sierraclub.org/CONS101
§ Interest in volunteering with the Sierra Club is on the upswing . Discuss committee hosting a newcomer event in our area.
· All local Sierra Club sections to participate
· at REI?
· Angeles Chapter retreat/open house Saturday, March 25, One Park Plaza, 3250 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles.
· Upcoming: OC STAND UP FOR OUR CLIMATE, SAT, APR 29, 11:00am-2:00pm in conjunction with same in Washington D.C. Ideas welcome. Cooperate with other OC groups? Or create our own -Example: Stand on the steps of Santa Ana City Hall, your church or school on the same date and time, post pictures on Sierra Club facebook page.
· Book recommendations welcome!