addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Club Cyberia Makers Message Board › Power usage monitor

Power usage monitor

A former member
Post #: 5
Now that we have our own AC power distribution panel, I would like to start a thread for tracking the progress of the web-based power meter project.

For starters, I have acquired a gray plastic utility box and mounted a small 5 vdc power supply inside. The box will contain two circuit boards: A RaspberryPi (or other?) internet-enabled controller, and the Current Transformer analog interface board. This box will be mounted next to the main breaker panel, and will interface directly to a pair of Current Transformers (link?) that will encircle the two supply mains (240 vac) in the panel.

There is extra room to hold the boards in this box. However, I don't have a mounting system for the RasPi, and it does not have any mounting holes. Can anyone supply a box or clip system to secure these other boards? Also I will bring my Kill-a-watt meter for calibration. The idea is to attach a resistive load such as an electric heater and collect power usage data with the Kill-a-watt over a 10 day period. This data will be used to calibrate the RasPi power meter. Can anyone suggest a better method of calibration?
Jason V.
user 31111052
Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 1
Dave, Can you by chance create 2 more Attiny chips with the current code for the Raspberry Pi on them? I would like to have one for home as well as the Maker Space. (I will pay you for the chips :-)..

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 6
It turns out that the 5v power supply I put into the box is no good, the voltage is hopping all over the place. So I think we'll just stick with the micro usb cable and phone charger (1 amp) power supply. If I keep these parts inside the main panel, the Raspi box size can be reduced a lot.
A former member
Post #: 6
I can bring one more attiny tomorrow. I might be able to swing two of them. I meant to order more but I got busy and forgot about it.
David L N.
webaugur
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
Sorry, this former member is me. I'll bring what I have tomorrow and order some more today.