On June 4, 2016, Code for Hawaii will be participating in the National Day of Civic Hacking (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016). National Day of Civic Hacking is a nationwide day of action where developers, government employees, designers, journalists, data scientists, non-profit employees, UX designers, and residents who care about their communities come together to host civic tech events leveraging their skills to help their community.
We're planning on working on the following projects:
• State budget visualizations
• UIPA records request
• Makerspace finder
• Bike sharing with BikeShare Hawaii (http://www.bikesharehawaii.org/)
There are also a number of other challenges / activities that can be worked on during the day:
• Citizen onboarding (http://citizenonboard.com/) applying for food stamps (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016/challenge-applying-for-food-stamps), affordable housing (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016/challenge-applying-for-subsidized-housing), and business license (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016/challenge-applying-for-a-business-license). No coding skills necessary!
• Help track bees (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016/challenge-honey-im-home-epa).
• A number of other projects listed here (https://www.codeforamerica.org/events/national-day-2016)...
If our member projects (http://issues.cfh.link) don't interest you, please take the time to look over some of these challenges before Saturday as we want to primarily focus on working that day! If you'd like to lead a new project, feel free to reach out to us as well!
Our tentative schedule:
9:00 AM - Coffee/snacks
9:15 AM - Intro to National Day / Daily stand-up with all the projects
9:30 AM - Break into groups and work!
12:00 PM - Lunch
1:00 PM - Back to work!
4:30 PM - Presentations
We'd like to give a big Mahalo to the High Technology Development Corporation (http://htdc.org)for helping sponsor this event.
Hope to see you there!