Time for another Code for Portland hack night! Join us to work on civic hacking projects for a better Portland! Bring projects, ideas, laptops, data, and friends.
6:00-6:20 -- Participants arrive and socialize.
6:20-6:30 -- Group introductions, announcements from participants & organizers.
6:30-8:30 -- Hacking! Project teams break out to work. New participants can join teams, circulate, form discussion groups, or seek out organizers for orientation (Nate G., Erica, Nate W., or Mele).
~7:30 -- Pizza arrives.
8:30+ -- Everyone reconvenes and shares reactions and progress made over the last two hours. Show and tell if time/resources allow it. Thank you and goodnight!
Optional Happy Hour for stragglers after everything's wrapped up.
Please RSVP so that we know how much pizza we'll need!
Civic Heroes of all types welcome! This event is for coders and non-coders alike -- as long as you're interested in making government more transparent and building interesting things for our city, you're more than welcome!
Bring a laptop if you intend on getting some hands-on hacking done (it’s ok if you can’t but it definitely helps to have one).
There will be pizza! We'll be getting some 'za from Sizzle Pie, so there will be vegan and vegetarian options.
- CES Wasteshed visualization project - working with local non-profit Community Environmental Services to help them publish open data and visualize information about neighborhood environmental impact
- OpenTrails projects - TrailEditor & PDX Trails - two projects using the new trail data standard Code for America is working on.
- Behind the Curtain - Campaign Finance visualization project from HackOregon.
- BallotPath - Help people find out who their representatives are and how they can run.
- City Council Agenda Bot - scraping the city council agenda and exposing it as JSON, connecting it to twitter, reddit, and IRC bots.
- US City Open Data Census - help build an inventory of our city's open data - http://us-city.census.okfn.org.
- City Budget & Financial Data
- Transportation Advocacy
- HUD - federal money & homeless services
As always, the Code for Portland website needs some help ;)
If you have something you'd like to work on or are excited about for the social and civic good, let us know via the meetup or at the hack night itself. We are growing our initiative and the energy comes from the community.