addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › USDA replaces food pyramid with plate

USDA replaces food pyramid with plate

Barb
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 12
Has anyone seen the new "MyPlate" nutritional tool from the USDA?

Overall I think it's an improvement:

• Vegetables and fruits appear to take up more than half the plate
  • They use the term protein rather than meat, and
  • The protein portion is smaller than veggies (and about the same as fruit)

Obviously, it's not perfect as it appears to recommend that people should be drinking a glass of milk with each meal. And, of course, it makes it look as though vegetables/grains and protein are mutually exclusive. And personally, I think it's gross that they're still recommending dairy at all.

I was just curious what you all thought of it.
A former member
Post #: 9
Fortunately nobody ever follows any dietary recommendations set forth by the government, with the exception of the public school system and other government programs.

I remember learning about the four food groups in school but I never put it into practice.

It's just government trying to tell us how to live our lives, as usual! laughing

But, I believe the ideal diet, well-researched by plant based doctors and nutritionists which support the most health and well-being, should really be 70-80% carbs in the form of fruit, veg and starches, 10% protein and 10% fat.

Barb
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 13
Fortunately nobody ever follows any dietary recommendations set forth by the government, with the exception of the public school system and other government programs.

In my experience, that's not entirely true. Since going vegan, I've talked to many people who believe they *need* meat and dairy because it was included on the USDA pyramid.
Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 165
I think it's an improvement. I saw it in the paper today as well. Just changing that term from "Meat" to "Protein" is pretty great I think.
A former member
Post #: 10

In my experience, that's not entirely true. Since going vegan, I've talked to many people who believe they *need* meat and dairy because it was included on the USDA pyramid.

I agree people think they need meat, but mainly because of all the protein pushers and misinformation, from the media. I never see people putting all the required servings on their plates that the government advocates.