addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › Should Vegans Eat Honey?

Should Vegans Eat Honey?

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 156
Hi Ann,
You've summed up a lot of the issues :-)
A. Agave is low glycemic
B. Honey is not vegan
C. Honey is not a health food
D. Bees are routinely exploited for honey

I will also add:
A. The issue with Agave that Kevin Gianni and Dr. Mercola bring up is not whether it's low glycemic (they don't dispute this) but rather with how it's processed and the fructose level in the end is just as high if not higher than high fructose corn syrup.
B. No sweetener is a health food and yes, no sweetener is also good advice and bottom line for many.
C. I would say bees are routinely exploited in our agricultural system with honey being the most apparent reality.

Here is an excerpt from Dr. Mercola's article which helps explain his issue with Agave:

"And if you're diabetic, you've been especially targeted and told this is simply the best thing for you since locally grown organic lettuce, that it's "diabetic friendly," has a "low glycemic index" and doesn't spike your blood sugar.

While agave syrup does have a low-glycemic index, so does antifreeze -- that doesn't mean it's good for you.

Most agave syrup has a higher fructose content than any commercial sweetener -- ranging from 55 to 97 percent, depending on the brand, which is FAR HIGHER than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which averages 55 percent.

This makes agave actually WORSE than HFCS.

It is important to understand that fructose does not increase insulin levels, which is not necessarily good as what it does do is radically increase insulin resistance, which is FAR more dangerous. You see, it's okay for your insulin levels to rise, that is normal. You just don't want these insulin levels to remain elevated, which is what insulin resistance causes."

Kim R.
user 12314994
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 8
I actually loved honey as a "vegan". I worked on farms that kept bees and I didn't feel as if they did anything wrong or harmful. They grew flowers and the bees would wander around all day going from flower to flower and it made me appreciate the cycle so much more. I used to buy raw honey from family farms and made a point of buying honey from all different parts of the world when I travelled. It was definitly the last animal product I gave up. Once I learnt what honey really was "bee vomit" I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it anymore. Most animal foods are really just disgusting when you understand what they truly are...
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 485
http://en.wikipedia.o...­

http://www.naturalnew...­

A point that got my attention when I first looked into this after reading Dr M's (dude who sells and promotes animal products himself, puppet of animal ag, and is affiliated with Weston A Price foundation, totally despicable animal ag supporters) was, honey (and maple syrup) turns to sugar when left unused, agave nectar does not, which the dietitian pointed out is an indexation that it is lower glycemic (if I can remember who told me that, I'll let you know). I remember thinking "ah ha!" when I heard that. That was definitely NOT my only research. Agave nectar (especially raw agave nectar), though a sweetener that should be used sparingly, if at all, is a plant-based, healthier than honey, cruelty free alternative to honey. Taking it away as an option by disparaging it with questionable, disputed articles, will leave many people choosing to stick with honey. That is my opinion that I came to after lots of research and speaking with several nutritionists and even a vegan doctor. I will come down on the side of beings on this issue, because there is, without a doubt, no proof that agave is dangerous to humans. Thanks!