addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › Brendan Brazier - summary of his talk?

Brendan Brazier - summary of his talk?

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 163
Can anyone give a summary of Brendan Brazier's talk? I'd love to hear what he had to say! If he gave Vega samples, what were your favorites? Thanks! smile
Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 24
Hi Shannon,

Brendan's flight was delayed and he was going to be about an hour and a half late, so I left. I was disappointed in that most of his products have stevia in them. I thought the protein bars were better than most on the market.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 164
Well that's a bummer! Thanks for posting anyway Betsy.
I have his Thrive book and have enjoyed the recipes I've made out of it, particularly his homemade bars and veggie burgers. We've bought Vega only a couple times, mainly because of price. However, my husband is deployed to Afghanistan right now and was in need of a healthy meal replacer and added protein, vitamins and minerals. He's having a hard time making the vegan lifestyle work over there. So based on Amazon reviews, I splurged and sent him Brendan's new Vega Sport Protein (chocolate flavor - hoping that tasted best with water and mixed in a ball blender) and his Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer (I ordered acai berry but it looks like they sent lemon lime instead) since he's doing a lot of CrossFit and training for the Marine Corps Historic 1/2 marathon that's being held over there in conjunction with the one in VA. He just received the shipment so I can't wait to hear what he thinks about the taste and if he notices a difference with either. I've never tried his bars, just his recipes for bars. I've read that his new Vega One line is better tasting than Vega and less gritty. The samples are expensive. Our Whole Foods here sells them for over $3. Maybe they're cheaper there. I guess I just need to spend the money on the samples to see what tastes best. I was also curious about his Recovery Accelerator. It's been awhile since I read his book so I could probably use a refresher and read it again.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 165
Just found on his Twitter that he's speaking here in Vegas on Sat. May 12. So I guess my next question is, for those of you who went, was it beneficial and is it worth a 35 min. drive?
Betsy K.
user 11269426
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 25
I hope someone can help you Shannon -- I didn't see anyone there from the group that I would recognize. They did have lots of samples, and a lady had samples of bars she said she made from his protein powder, so they were probably from the recipe in his book you talk about. If this deal in Las Vegas is similar it might be worth going just to taste the products. That's got to be hard having your husband over in Afghanistan.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 166
I ended up going to his talk today and am glad I did. It was worth just hearing him speak in person, getting the chance to meet him and having him sign my books.
His emphasis on cortisol levels and acidic food vs. alkaline food have reminded me that I need to make some minor food changes and re-read his book! He offers great information and healthy recipes, sure to get anyone on the right track.
I picked up some of his Vega One in the chocolate flavor. The sample with water was good! I also plan to order his pre-workout energizer.
If you want a meal replacer, go for the Vega One. If you are an avid athlete and want the extra protein, go for the Sport Performance Protein (currently I use Sun Warrior Protein after my workouts). The Maca in the Vega One will also help rebuild your adrenals and decrease cortisol. It's nice to now you can get so many nutritional benefits in one.
I asked about the Stevia Betsy and they said after doing some research, they found people wanted even less sugar than the palm sugar they were using (the majority of those surveyed wanted it lower for health reasons) so they made the switch to Stevia. If you don't care for the taste of stevia then you probably won't like his product line.

BEth
Meleakua
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 32
i read Brendan's book 'Thrive' recently & decided to buy a shake packet to try out.. i do not like the taste of stevia at all but love its health benefits.. i made the shake & tried it & the stevia taste was awful, but when i blended in about a teaspoon of agave nectar the taste was magically transformed somehow- the stevia taste was gone & it was delicious!! it's worth trying out! :)