addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › Summer Veg Picnic Potluck Recipes

Summer Veg Picnic Potluck Recipes

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 33
Post recipes from the dishes made at the Summer Veg Picnic.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 21
The potluck was great (very yummy, tasty food)! We had an excellent variety of dishes that made you feel energized and ready to spend the rest of your day outside recreating. The girls had so much fun playing in the creek. The company was nice and conversation, as usual, very enjoyable. It was an awesome way to spend our afternoon. Thanks, Lisa, for organizing!

"Mock egg" salad made out of tofu (perfect summer dish)
Now, since I'm on the tofu topic, I'd like to start another thread regarding the soy debate and get some feeback or discussion going on that.
This is a recipe I found online through Isa's Post Punk Kitchen website. I'm just going to give you the ingredients I used and then you can determine how much of each to put in since you really can't go wrong and this way you can make it to taste...

1 to 2 packages of extra firm tofu (I try to use organic)
Chopped Celery (I add quite a bit because I love the crunch and flavor of celery)
Veganaise (about 1/4 cup per package of tofu) - Veganaise can be found at Whole Foods or other Health Food Store in the refrigerated section of dairy and non-dairy items.
Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tsp or so per package of tofu)
Tumeric
Celery Salt (I used this in place of salt)
Dry Mustard
Dijon Mustard
White Pepper (or regular pepper)

Drain the tofu really well. I even cooked mine a bit to get any excess water out and to try and firm it up a bit more.
In a separate bowl combine the veganaise, vinegar, mustard and spices. Just start throwing in spices by the tsp. and keep tasting until you get the flavor you like. Or add other spices that sound good to you like garlic powder, curry and/or dill. The end dressing should be a flavorful, yellow mixture.
Crumble the tofu in a large bowl, add the chopped celery then mix in your dressing/sauce. Refrigerate and enjoy in a sandwich, as a side, or with crackers. I like it more the next day when the tofu has had a chance to soak up the flavor, is thicker, and it's nice and cold after being the the fridge for a day.

This is a homemade granola bar recipe that I got out of the book "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. This is a better tasting, good for you version of the store-bought granola snacks and easy to play around with. (perfect for picnics or taking on a hike)

No-Bake Granola Bars
makes about a dozen squares and takes about 15 min. to make

3 cups granola (I used closer to 4 cups and I bought granola at whole foods with dried fruit and almonds already in it. You can make your own granola, buy your favorite granola, add nuts or your favorite dried fruits. Lots of options here).
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup neutral oil like grapeseed or corn

Put the honey, brown sugar and oil in a small pot and bring to a boil. Put the granola (along with any other extras like nuts, dried fruit, flax seed, etc.) and pour the sugar mixture over the top while mixing; stir until the granola is well coated.
Press into an 8 or 9 inch square pan and let cool in the fridge. Cut into squares or rectangles and serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

I made mine more dessert like and drizzled melted chocolate chips (I love Whole Foods 365 brand semi-sweet chocolate chips because they are rich in flavor plus they appear to be free of any milk products) over the top before cooling them in the fridge.

Other variations:
add chocolate chips
add all kinds of nuts
add some cinnamon, orange zest, ginger and/or cloves
Substitute peanut butter or almond butter for the brown sugar