addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › Kale - the leafy green superfood

Kale - the leafy green superfood

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 49
There are many superfoods out there (for instance, broccoli) but if you are like me, I only thought of Kale as a garnish on a plate or salad bar and never thought twice about eating it. After doing some research I realized this bright leafy green needs to eaten. smile

So now it's a matter of figuring out how to prepare, season, and eat...

Recently, while looking through the cookbook Tassajara, I ran across a interesting and easy recipe for Kale Chips. I came home and immediately tried them out. They almost melt in your mouth and like a potato chip, you can't eat just one. Kale is literally one of the healthiest foods out there (many, many health benefits and is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese). It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, copper, calcium, vitamin B6 and potassium - resource http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=38­.
I have since found various recipes for Kale Chips online. I thought this one sounded good (the version I prepared did not have the apple cider vinegar).

Ingredients
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (can be omitted)
Sprinkling of salt (or salt to taste)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 bunches kale, rinsed with stems removed
Directions
Cut kale into 2 to 3 inch pieces.
Mix vinegar, oil, and salt in a large bowl then add kale and mix by hand.
Try to get all the leaves covered.
Place on baking sheets (I like to use parchment paper for easy clean up) and bake at 350 F until they are crispy.
Bake for 7 minutes. Turn the chips over and bake for 3-7 more minutes, until crispy and edges are just beginning to brown. Cool and eat..
Time for baking varies depending on the size of your chips and desired crispness.
The outer edges cook quicker than the pieces from near the stem.

Timing is everything: too long and they taste burned, two short and they are chewy rather than crispy.

I am curious to know how much of it's nutritional value is retained when baked. From what I can gather, the shorter any vegetable is cooked, the fewer nutrients are lost.

Let us know what you think if you decide to try them out or if you've had them before.

....Or just share your favorite Kale recipe. I'm trying to find ways to get it in my little ones (hidden in smoothies seems like another good option).

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 62

Kale Smoothie - from Tim VanOrden
in a blender combine
1 banana
1/2 cup blueberries (I like mine frozen)
pinch of Dulce Flakes (a good mineral source)
Tbsp. of Hemp Seeds
2-4 Kale leaves (pull Kale off the spine)
Then I personally add a Tbsp. or so of Agave syrup and/or a couple dates
Add water, approx. 20oz for an extra large smoothie
and blend

Mediterranean Kale Salad
I never thought I could eat Kale in a Salad form. However, my sister told me about this salad and surprisingly, it's very easy and tasty to eat (not to mention easy to make)
From Jennifer Cornbleet's cookbook Raw Food Made Easy

1 serving
4 Kale leaves, stems removed
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp. pine nuts
1 Tbsp. sliced black olives (I add a little extra)
Dash of black pepper (optional)
Place chopped Kale leaves in a bowl along with the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Toss well with your hands. Add red bell pepper, pine nuts and olives and toss gently. Let it marinate for at least 10 minutes at room temperature before serving. Season to taste with black pepper, if desired. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, this salad will keep for three days. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Here's a good Kale:101 Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDiIdT7Zxes&fmt=18­