addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › How to make your own "cheese" - very easy

How to make your own "cheese" - very easy

Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 84
I'm experimenting with homemade "cheese". Try this recipe below. It's easy to add more spices, nuts, etc. Some reviewers put their "cheese" in molds (hearts, flowers, etc.). I'm thinking this will be a fun addition to my daughter's lunch box. I'm making a new batch today (link below). I made one yesterday that called for oil (I substituted half the oil for coconut oil (due to it's health benefits) and the coconut oil still overwhelmed it too much. It's amazing stuff though (slices, shreds, melts) and very easy to make.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Vegan-Sharp-Cheddar-Cheese-130826­
I don't have pimento's so I'm substituting some lightly steamed carrots.
Anyone have Joanne Stepaniak's "Uncheese Cookbook"? Any other good homemade cheese recipes that you know of? I'll add a review of the above after it has set up overnight.
A former member
Post #: 24
how did the cheese come out? i do have the uncheese cookbook but have only used it for the pizza cheese. would you like to borrow it? i'm curious how your recipe turned out - i think it sounds fun to make cheese, but i've just never tried it.
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 88
Yum, Yum....when warm. I omitted the garlic (for the girls) and substituted carrots for pimentos and added a pinch of salt. I also went a little heavier on the lemon juice for a "sharper" flavor. The blended result was this warm, queso like goodness. It was all I could do to keep from eating it all in the queso form. I like this recipe because it does not call for oil. Instead of putting in a oiled bread pan, I lined it with saran wrap. I don't have any fun molds but it's on my list of things to buy since this would be great for lunches, parties, etc. Nonetheless it's pretty tasty, very easy to make, and very easy to play around with the ingredients. I might try almonds next time instead of cashews, maybe throw in a little cooked potato, some tomato or red pepper, etc.. You can probably also play around by adding fewer nuts. Here's a good page with nutritional facts on cashews...
http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac451e/ac451e0b.htm­

Agar, Agar flakes are fabulous!
http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_details.php?products_id=108940­

It sets up very fast in the fridge...matter of minutes. It slices very easily and shreds as well. When heated, it pretty much goes back to it's "queso" form. It's not ooey gooey like the real stuff but will give extra flavor and creaminess to your pizza, burritos, quesadillas, grilled "cheese", etc. So far I'm liking it much better warm but if sliced thinly on a sandwich it's "doable". The texture cold is little different and many may not be a fan. However, it's an easy, all natural option that's fun to try.

As for my girls, well the verdict is still out. They aren't too sure but aren't completely opposed either.

Thanks for your offer Gail to borrow the book. I see where you can get it through the library so I already put a hold on it.

A former member
Post #: 25
thanks for all the info shannon! it sounds good, i will have to try it soon. there are quite a few vegan titles at the library which makes me very happy!
Shannon
Plant_Strong
Kaiserslautern, DE
Post #: 89
Okay, here's a really good one I made tonight. I blended the oatmeal in my coffee grinder and did the initial mixing in a food processor but then transfered it to the Vita Mix to get it good and creamy. It would be really good with salsa mixed in at the end, however, I didn't have any so I just used diced tomatoes. I did add a little nutritional yeast to taste. I omitted pepper flakes and paprika and added a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
To serve - I put down a bed of lettuce and topped it with diced orange pepper, dehydrated black bean burgers, sliced avocado and then drizzled the warm cheese queso on top. WOW! It's really good. I think I'll make it for the movie night on Thursday and serve with flax seed crackers. This one is a keeper. My husband and I both agree it's better than the first.
I might try adding some Agar, Agar Flakes to it sometime to see how it would set up in a "cheese block form".

http://www.ordinaryvegetarian.com/2010/01/alicias-vegan-queso-dip.html­
A former member
Post #: 26
sounds yummy, i just printed the recipe! thanks for sharing.