Haymarket HQ (http://www.haymarkethq.com/)Square Table is a regular, informal and fun get-together at Australia’s first Asia-focused startup hub located in Chinatown. Listen to entrepreneurs open up about their setbacks, learnings and experiences starting up in Asia.
Follow our Youtube channel to see our previous events (http://www.youtube.com/haymarkethq)
This week’s topic: Angel investing & venture capital in China; the development of the Wechat ecosystem; the current startup boom in the Middle Kingdom; and investment by Chinese VCs in Australian startups.
This week's entrepreneur: Prof. XU Hongbo from Innohub.io
Professor XU Hongbo (https://www.linkedin.com/in/hongboxu/) is an active angel investor; founder of the Shenzen venture firm Innohub.io (http://www.innohub.io); which is the general partner of the Wechat Growth Fund, which is backed by, among others, Tencent. He is also a professor of computer science, specialising in artificial intelligence, at the South China University of Technology, a Top 25 university.
This week's interviewer: Vicky Lay from Artesian Venture Partners
Vicky Lay (https://www.linkedin.com/in/vickylay/) is a Managing Director at Artesian Venture Partners (https://www.artesianinvest.com/), an early-stage venture capital business. Prior to joining Artesian, Vicky was a Co-founder and COO at Zookal, a Silicon Valley venture backed e-learning and textbook rental company.
Vicky will lead a discussion with Hongbo regarding:
• His background as a “sea turtle”, who went out of China to the USA, New Zealand and Australia, returning around 10 years ago
• His activities in the angel investing and venture capital industry during the current startup boom in China
• The general evolution of technology industries in the South of China vs the historical concentration in Northern China
• Chinese investment in Australian startups over the last two years
• The development of the Wechat ecosystem and the types of investments made by Innohubs Wechat Growth Fund
• In particular, Innohub's investment activity in ANZ, via it’s Sydney and Auckland offices
The format: one speaker, one interviewer (or as we like to call them: grillers), a few drinks and a lively discussion where everyone can join in.
Sponsored by Microsoft, Bizspark
Note: photos and videos will be taken at this event, please advise the organiser if any issues.