COWORKING FOR CREATIVES, WRITERS, AND FRIENDS! (*Private group)
Updated: Aug 5, 2018
This is a small, private group for the organizers and their friends, who work from home or studio, and want an occasional break from working solo to meet others, and work with them side-by-side. For safety, join *by invitation only* from a member or friend of member.
Join us for coworking with creatives, artists, writers (academics, non-academics, etc.) and friends in the East Bay at cafes, live/work spaces, studios, and other suitable spaces. Occasionally we'll have lunch out. While working solo has its benefits, working in a community is valuable for social health, mutual support, and inspiration!
Meet times: Typically during the hours of 9 AM to 5 PM, weekdays.
• Take mobile phone calls and talks outside or to another room. Feel free to wear headphones to work.
• At cafes, please buy something and more, esp. if there for more than two hours. We would like to maintain good relationships with our local cafes.
• BYO refreshments and snacks to other people's homes. (At organizer's place, you can use the kitchen to make coffee or tea.)
• The group will meet mainly to co-work. Occasionally, we'll post member social events on our discussion board: art opening, concert, screening, lunch, etc.!
• Specific work goals.
• Positive attitude and the ability to work well with others.
• Be age 21 or older.
• Membership is by personal invitation only from a member or a friend.
• Submit a clear headshot photo, with an unobstructed view of your face.
• To retain your membership, attend meets. Meets take place during weekday business hours in the East Bay. (Memberships, of those who are inactive for over two months, will be deleted.)
• Joining with the objective of promoting a business or lurking is prohibited. Please join with the main purpose of coworking with us!
Membership contribution $1 upon joining, plus $1/year due the first of January. Please contribute the $1 cash joining fee to the organizer after your first meet -- if you like it and you decide to stay on. These nominal fees help cover the payment for the group's Meetup site (https://www.meetup.com/pricing/) (link). Contributions are non-refundable.
Profile photo Submit a clear headshot of yourself, for your profile page prior to joining. For the safety of the group, we must be able to see what you look like. We use these photos to find and identify each other when meeting cowork sites (especially for meeting new people). See organizer photo as an example.
RSVP policy RSVP if you plan to attend. Guests are welcome with an RSVP. If you need to cancel, please change your RSVP online. Like other groups, we have a "three strikes" policy.
Organizers have the right to immediately remove any member from the group for any reason, including, but not limited to the following. The member has three no-shows, does not make a contribution after a month, is inactive for over a month, does not meet requirements, and/or violates Meetup's Terms of Service (http://www.meetup.com/terms/).
• A place and time to work with others, without the distractions of home.
• Sometimes you want to brainstorm.
• It's cheaper and more fun than renting work space or working in cafes alone.
• You (the working creative), like-minded, friendly colleagues and friends. Guests are welcome!
• This won't be open to: the public and undergraduate students (like some co-working projects) -- only to people we know.
• Membership will grow organically and is by invitation from existing members.
• Each person can take turns hosting/suggesting meets as often as they like.
• The inspiration for this group came from a series of home and cafe co-working meets and lunches with my neighbor and fellow creative Norma!
• Oakland and other areas of the East Bay.
• Member-host will suggest her home, studio, cafe or other work-conducive place.
• Quiet and clean space to work -- same etiquette as in other shared workspaces.
• Venue offers Wi-fi access.
• Adequate table space and chairs for guests.
• During weekdays 9 AM to 5 PM.
• Minimum 2 to 3 hours duration, per meet.
• There will be a cowork meet scheduled at least once/month.