addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Dennis K.
user 107208462
Lorton, VA
Post #: 1
I used the mission planner to set waypoints (a simple rectangle) following the instructions and videos on copter.ardupilot.com. I've loaded the mission into EE Prom. How do I initiate the mission? Do I configure one of the flight modes to "Guided" or "Auto" and then initiate with the associated switch on the remote control? Any other words of wisdom before I attempt my first mission flight?
David S.
Kexler
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 75
One of the flight modes should be programmed to Auto in order to run the mission. If telemetry radio is configured and connected, you can also issue the auto command via the Mission Planner.

Some advice I can give:

Note the altitude. The default altitude is 100 meters, which is about 328ft.

I like to double check that the APM has received the mission, so after creating my waypoints and clicking Write WPs button, I read the waypoints back from the APM by hitting Read WPs button. If all looks exactly as I plan, I proceed.
Dennis K.
user 107208462
Lorton, VA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the tips. I programmed the flight mode, did a "Read WP" from the drone, double and triple checked everything.....but the mission was an utter failure. When it took off it shot up and started to head in the total opposite direction. NO idea where it was headed! I took control of the drone (switched out of Auto mode) and was able to fly it back to me. It was on a mission....just not mine. The blue light on the GPS was solid - so I assume the GPS was locked. I'll wait for the next fly-in to have the experts look it over. I was able to get about 11 minutes of flight time out of it though. The 4S battery went from 16.8 (fully charged) to 14.8 - so it still had plenty of juice left after 11 minutes.
David S.
Kexler
Woodbridge, VA
Post #: 76
I've had the same thing happen to me at random. One time I wasn't so lucky on recovery and it ended up in a tree.(Thank you again Arlen for the recovery effort.)

Browsing some diydrones threads it appears this issue may be related to a gps positioning glitch. Sounds like they are addressing this with a GPS Glitch Protection in Arducopter 3.1-RC 5, but they also talk about possible emi noise and/or vibration overwhelming the magnetometer. I'd pop open the log from that flight and take a look.
Dennis K.
user 107208462
Lorton, VA
Post #: 5
I looked at (tried to look at) a log file. It was all unreadable characters. Probably something I'm doing wrong. I recalibrated the compass and gps and went out today for another test flight. It hit the first way point perfectly and loitered for the 5 seconds I programmed (good start). Somehow the second waypoint was lost and it appeared to cut diagonally to the 3rd waypoint....it was traveling at about Mach 3 (slight exaggeration) at an angle from the 45' waypoint 1 altitude straight to the ground at waypoint 3. I was able to switch back to manual mode and pull up JUST in time. It was really, really close to a full speed catastrophic crash. I double checked altitudes at each waypoint and they were all set to 45'. Hmmmm.
Cyrus P.
user 84296562
Washington, DC
Post #: 38
Hey Dennis! Was good meeting you today at the "test site". Thanks so much for the FPV spotting!

Your description of the hexa flight today is accurate. That was a really nice save, I was really worried we were about to watch small parts of your drone travelling downrange in a very violent and spectacular way but you pulled out of it.