addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Kevin G.
user 72263132
Washington, DC
Post #: 83
Not to just link to another forum but...

http://www.djiguys.co...­

They're saying 22 minute flight times... I THINK with gimballed-GoPro. If so that's pretty great and there will be one in my future. :)
Jon R.
user 105616082
Oakton, VA
Post #: 8
I've been flying the Vision for about 10 days now and think that battery time is probably right for the PV2. In relatively calm winds I'm getting easily 20min with 30% batt reserve. It definitely seems to suck a bit more juice on windier days in GPS mode. I like the ZM gimbal, but at the same time, it adds some complications. It also looks like you'd need to add a traditional FPV system (more complications). So far I've found the Wifi FPV to work well on the Vision. The other day at Lake Fairfax I was just under 400alt with 1000ft horizontal distance and the signal remained solid. The option to be able to DL and post pix/vids while still flying also is attractive for my applications.
Of course on the other hand, I'd like a bit more image stability and you definitely need to play with the cam settings for the best possible image. The fact that it uses an iPhone app but the setup apps are PC only is also annoying. Basically it seems like their consumer platform has shakier images but let's you manipulate and move them pretty easily with/FPV. The more pro level platform has better images, but more constraints on accessing/moving them and no FPV. I need a combo of both!!!!
Terry K.
user 13240139
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 26
If i'm not mistaken, the only thing getting that flight time up is a larger battery and slightly more efficient props. I've seen people get almost the exact same flight time out of a Phantom 1 with a couple of mods (second battery etc). The problem with the Phantom 2 is the proprietary battery and charging system. The batteries are about 3x what you pay for the same mAH ratting from another vendor and they take 3x as long to charge on their charger. If you have a big boy charger running on 24v, it's even faster. I just got a Phantom 1 today, so I'll let you know in a week or so how much time I'm getting in the air with it. I plan to break 20 minutes and keep the flexibility of standard batteries.
Kevin G.
user 72263132
Washington, DC
Post #: 86
Terry-- At the conference I asked Colin of DJI what he attributes the better flight time to. I do think that's an extraordinary flight time or a craft of that size with a GoPro. He said other than the much larger battery it was mostly down to prop efficiency, and lower C-rated battery (thus reducing the weight of the battery). The C-rating thing is interesting but scary. You CAN shave off a few grams by going with lower C-rated batteries. I just feel like you're asking for trouble if you're throwing away your amperage buffer, so to speak. Particularly as the batteries age, doesn't the max amp draw decrease over time from a battery?
Jason D.
user 11888543
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 22
Im not getting 20 minutes, more around 16-17 minutes. Thats with a zenmuse, Gopro 3 black, Fatshark Transmitter, and mini OSD onboard. The zenmuse in particular adds a fair amount of weight.

The vision gets longer flight times mainly due to the fact that its not carrying a brushless gimbal.
I think you may have some difficulty with a p1 with 2 batteries and the same extra gear getting the same flight time. Much of what I read from those running 2 batteries say that it adds several minutes, but doesnt double the flight time.

The intelligent batteries, while expensive, are pretty light. You also have the advantage of seeing the actual % charge remaining through the OSD.
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 376
Kevin: Colin from DJI was also talking about getting batteries with fewer cells. He said if you could go down to 2S that you could shave a lot of weight off and also save space.
Kevin G.
user 72263132
Washington, DC
Post #: 88
Chris: That's interesting, because I normally associate the higher voltage configurations with the more efficient multirotors. Maybe I have my generalizations screwed-up, but I think of the most efficient craft as generally very large props, which means lower Kv motors, which tends to mean higher voltages. Obviously that depends on a lot of things, like how big your craft is and how much of a payload. So I'm certainly over-generalizing.
Christopher V.
chrisvo
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 377
Don't worry, your intuition that a larger prop and lower Kv is generally more efficient (in terms of thrust per watt), in situations when you're not concerned with drag (e.g. hovering, slow and steady movement), goes along with my own intuition.

I'm just repeating what I heard Colin say.

I did notice that I could get crazy flight times on eCalc with 2S. Never seen anyone use 2S in any copters though.