addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DC Atheists Meetup Message Board › A Bitter Rift Divides Atheists

A Bitter Rift Divides Atheists

Don W.
DonWharton
Group Organizer
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Hi All,

There is a very interesting NPR story on-line titled : A Bitter Rift Divides Atheists.

It starts out: “Last month, atheists marked Blasphemy Day at gatherings around the world, and celebrated the freedom to denigrate and insult religion.”

Apparently they imagine that only the “new atheists” do this and the older variety of atheism is more “tolerant” of those that believe in religion.

Stuart Jordan is a close friend and very well known in the secular community both locally and nationally. I think I would take the other side of this argument from the views he takes.

To read the NPR story and perhaps share your views go to:

http://www.npr.org/te...­

Don Wharton
Dean
user 7472837
Reston, VA
Post #: 7
Personally, I fail to see the need to ape/parrot Dawkins & Co. My experience with certain atheist fundamentalists is that they lack COMPASSION. FEELING needs to be combined with cold rationalizing!

"Man is the cruelest animal." -Nietzsche
Justin
user 12893041
Brandywine, MD
Post #: 5
Personally, I fail to see the need to ape/parrot Dawkins & Co. My experience with certain atheist fundamentalists is that they lack COMPASSION. FEELING needs to be combined with cold rationalizing!

Dean, I think this would be right up your alley. It has made me think about my interaction with others.

http://www.actuallyspeaking.com/podcast/­
A former member
I agree with Dawkins and Hitchens 100%. Religion should be shown no respect and the more ridicule the better. It's the young people that the answer to stopping the infection of parent to child of this deadly virus called religion. The old approach does not work and these proponents have had centuries to practice their methods and not one hardened theist has ever been converted that I know of. A new approach is needed.
A former member
Post #: 2

There is no such thing as an "atheist fundamentalist!" Read this and learn something: http://atheism.about....­

Why should we show compassion to xtian hypocriotes who claim to follow jebus and then damn us to "burn in hell," and discriminate against us in every way possible?

Why should I care about the feelings of religious hypocrites when they don't give a fig about my feelings and insultingly say they "will pray for me?" because of my lack of belief in their deity?

A former member
Post #: 3
"It starts out: 'Last month, atheists marked Blasphemy Day at gatherings around the world, and celebrated the freedom to denigrate and insult religion."

Personally, every day is Blasphemy Day for me. Religion is nothing more than rank superstition. Denigrating god/jebus is really no different from denigating Santa Claus or The tooth fairy. Give me science over religion any day! Just as the religious have religious freedom, I have the freedm to be free from religion.

Brian L
user 13940919
Kensington, MD
Post #: 3
I don't mean to split hairs, but "religion" it too broad a term. A distinction could be made between traditional, and progressive religion. Progressive religion agrees entirely with the atheistic, political agenda regarding equality, sep of relig and state, climate change... the progressive agenda. Let's stay together as a group who promotes political policies that agree with the natural world view. Humanistic religion is on the rise and needs our mutual support. A friend in need, is a friend indeed.
Mathew G.
user 49395042
Bowie, MD
Political agenda is one thing, natural world view is another thing, and while they overlap they are not the same. Some religious individuals and institutions have a secularist political agenda and accordingly they have been, and will continue to be, our political allies. A secularist political agenda endorses freedom of expression, association, and equality before the law for all, it is inclusive, it opposes government establishment of BOTH theism and atheism. At the same time, religious people are mostly not ontological naturalists, they mostly do not share with us an atheistic world view, and therefore we are sometimes competitors who disagree. Their ontological supernaturlism is mistaken and we should publicly say so. We should not pretend that we agree across the board when, clearly, we do not.