We will be having an educational conversation on Documentary Filmmaking. We will also discuss group produced projects, and possibly screen some previously produced work.
Develop your projects and networking. Bring your creative talent and a willingness to help your peers. Short, time-capped introductions will occur around 7:30 pm.
Estimated schedule is:
7pm: arrival and informal networking
7:30pm: time capped introductions
8:10: group biz/admin
8:30pm activity, screening, events and/or education
11pm End meeting
Matt Echave will help lead the conversation. Matt is a documentary filmmaker based in Washington, DC who had his international directorial debut at the 2012 Reykjavik International Film Festival with the documentary " Iceland's Mastro Geppetto". He is also the director of " Grandma is HIV-Positive" which premiered to audience acclaim at the 2012 International Aids Conference. Matt is a prolific videographer having produced short documentaries for a number of web publications, including National Geographic.com and Frontier Scientists.
The Documentary Film conversation may include:
1) Introduction. Who is talking, a big picture overview of the process, and motivation in doing it (reasons can include advocacy, artistic, business and/or strategic reasons to make a documentary film).
2) The Subject: Overview of how to refine your idea and whether or not to actually move forward.
3) Funding : Many different ways to get funding. Grants, investors, family, friends, crowd funding.
4) Pre-production : research, interviewees, crew, locations, insurance, contracts, behind the scenes footage, how to get support.
5) Production : How many days your shoot could range from. What to expect. How to manage the interviewees, collecting footage and crew. Stock, archive, and licensed footage.
6) Post production : Editing, Color correction, Sound editing, Music, Paperwork, graphics, animation.
7) Festivals : Submission to festivals. Which ones, How many. Choose wisely for a time.
8) Distribution : A producers view of distribution.
9) Income : How to handle any income.
10) Your next project : Do it all over again
11) Resources. education, funding, crew, management, software, equipment, organizations, etc.
All are welcome, including filmmakers, editors, directors, producers, service professionals, actors, writers, hair/makeup, investors, students, ... . We will also continue to discuss and screen group sponsored projects.
Bring business cards.
Look forward to seeing everyone.
A note on PARKING:
Parking is available on the street, but give yourself an extra 15 minutes to find it. 16th Street has some free parking after 6:30 where you don't need to worry about the time cap. (Just read all the signs before walking away from your car.) There is also meter parking on 17th street and a garage a few blocks away on P street between 16th and 17th.