Curious about backpacking?
This is your chance to "try it before you buy it".
We'll be car camping at James River State Park. I have two tent sites reserved by the river Friday and Saturday night. You are welcome to arrive Friday evening and stay until Sunday or just drop in for the day on Saturday or Sunday.
We'll be doing everything you would do on a backpacking trip: hiking, cooking with a tiny stove, and sleeping in tents. But you'll have an option to bail at any time. Hiking distance would depend on ability levels of attendees. Beginners welcome. Hiking times will be posted soon.
Bring whatever backpacking and camping gear you want to test (for example, REI has a great return policy). Prepare as if you're going to backpack for two days.
Bring lots of questions about gear, clothing, trails, how to read a topo map, how to plan your route, etc.
Camping details will be available to those who rsvp.
You're responsible for carpooling to the destination. Post in the comments if you need a ride or can provide one.
-----------------Legal Waiver --------------------------
A. You are solely responsible for your wellness while participating in any DC-HBC events. You agree that you will NOT hold anyone in the group and in the event responsible for any injuries, mishaps, or any other situation that may happen at a planned event.
B. You agree that you are solely responsible for:
1. Prepare your gear and know how to use them.
2. Review, research and understand the topo/local/area maps & know the hiking route features and terrain.
3. Know the area weather and road condition.
4. Know your physical limits, medical condition & your hiking/backpacking or other related skills.
5. Fully Prepare for emergency (http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=what-to-do-if-lost): Click for more inform.
C. Your attendance on any organized event signifies that you have read and accepted the terms of this liability waiver.