addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indianapolis Downtown Dog Walk Message Board › Obedience training suggestions

Obedience training suggestions

Sarah F
user 13150564
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone,
I got a new dog in January and have done the Petsmart puppy class with her but would like to do another round of obedience training and maybe get her canine good citizen certification. The ultimate goal is to get her certified as a therapy dog to visit nursing homes and hospitals. Can anyone recommend a good obedience class/school, preferably either in broad ripple or downtown areas? I'm willing to drive a bit of a distance but would prefer not to go south of downtown.

Thanks,
Sarah
Renee
user 37445752
Indianapolis, IN
Hi Sarah, I've done the Petsmart Puppy class too & it was good for socializing & getting the basics. I say check with Rob Hansen who is the main organizer for this group. It's been a while since I have talked to him but I think he offers training. After one of our walks he worked with my Daisy & showed me how to get her to lay down on command. What impressed me about it was he was extremely patient, he was calm, not forceful. I would think that would be a great trainer especially if you want your dog to be certified for CGC & do therapy work.

Leanne may also be able to offer some suggestions.

Last, but not least, check out Love on a Leash. I met this group at the fair grounds & they seemed like a good group to work with.

Good luck! You've got a great plan.

Renee S.
Robin M.
user 88097462
Indianapolis, IN
I did the class too but my crazy dog seems to goes backwards. She has stopped listening to me so I need another source for training but can't be too expensive. Any suggestions would help.
Leanne
lw1157
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 47
I've taken two different dogs through the petsmart training program (from basic to advanced) and we were successful. I think for the price, it's a pretty good deal ($100 for 6 hours of training). I also took both dogs to a private, customized class by Rob Hansen (Siegfried Academy) where we did nose work and hide & seek ($200 for 8 hours of training). I also worked with Alpha K9 University in Fishers to get Terrence his canine good citizen certification ($130 for 9 hours of training). They offer a wide range of classes and it was a lot of fun. I've heard good things about Bark Tudor, but don't have personal experience with them.

As Renee mentioned, Love on a Leash is a local therapy dog organization. I talked to them about their requirements. They don't require CGC, but do ask that the dogs pass an evaluation (http://www.loveonalea...­.

Lastly, I know someone who volunteers for Paws and Think (http://pawsandthink.o...­) which does therapy work (with or without your dog), but I'm not as familiar regarding their requirements. Just look at their website.

Regardless of which class you pursue, the most important thing is to be clear and consistent with your dog. If you don't regularly reward the behaviors you want, you'll be less likely to see them repeated in the future. For example, after two years, I still praise Terrence when he potties outside because I want him to continue doing that!

Hope this helps you on the road towards training your dogs. It can be long and frustrating, but having a well trained dog is worth so much more!
Carola
user 7104383
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 12
If you take a class through Pet Smart, I highly recommend observing a class held in the store you plan to take the class at. The instructors vary widely. The Plainfield store that I took my dog to ten years ago had nice instructor doing positive reinforcement. A few years later I went to the Store in Carmel and there was a horrible guy working with a group. He was screaming at the puppies and yanked their leash while trying to teach them "leave it"---totally intimidating. I actually complained to store management, as it was traumatizing to me just witnessing it while shopping in the store.