addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DIYbio Toronto Message Board › Sourcing, Purchasing & nifty Links

Sourcing, Purchasing & nifty Links

Carla J S.
user 106416652
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 28
Thanks for the links Carla. We can get busy trawling these!

Unfortunately, the freezer we were looking at had been sold on Kijiji before we even saw the eBay posting, so we'll have to find one elsewhere. I've been browsing the labequip and go-dove (as well as another, cu-see.com), but haven't seen anything in the right price range.

This is on sale, if I can get them to ship it here and still at the sale price, I think i should order it on Monday:
http://www.compactapp...­

Thoughts on freezers?
Christopher
user 82448352
Toronto, ON
Post #: 4
After some more research on freezers, I have come to realize that standard household freezer units actually keep at between -23°C to -18°C, so we don't necessarily have to get a laboratory freezer, any of them should do! With that said, I looked up on Craigslist and found a ton of freezers (at a fairly large size no less) available for around $100. I think we're pretty safe here in terms of reaching the right temperature to properly store biological reagents, as all conventional freezer units are required to reach -18°C (0°F) the point at which the USDA asserts food stored will be kept safe indefinitely, hence no biological reaction! This should help out immensely with budget and transportation concerns.
Brendan H.
user 68875902
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
I was initially against the idea of the 1.1 cubic ft. freezer but I did a quick calculation and estimated we could probably fit around 1000 tubes (oligos, reagents, etc) in the standard lab freezer boxes. This is tonnes for our purposes now. the size and prize are pluses as well as is its specification as a lab freezer.
Its got my vote.
Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 31
So I called the 1.1cu ft freezer maker, and there's just no way to buy their freezer in Canada, which was a bummer. Anyway, I called up Ellen Jorgenson from Genspace, as well as chatting with Naveen Venayak from U of T. They both said they use home depot chest freezers with no trouble.

I also saw this DIY Bio discussion thread:
https://groups.google...­

The long and short of it is that there seems to be a really solid consensus that a standard chest freezer will do. I feel much more comfortable having talked to two people using them. I was convinced this would be trouble, but I think I'm going to have to eat my words!

I actually have a friend with a Danby chest freezer who confirmed it went down to -25C. It is also manual defrost. I think we'll want to go this route after all. If there are no objections, I say we grab this one:
http://www.homedepot....­

I think new is best, as there are less likely to be issues, and we get the max lifetime. If we intend to store significant amounts of stuff, we could lose quite a lot of money on a dodgy second hand one.
Duane H.
user 65348982
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
Looks good, Ewan.

The manual defrost being the critical point for the storage of samples and enzymes.
Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 32
Awesome, we now have a new freezer! We're running a test with a thermometer in there right now.
Ewan
user 12048956
Toronto, ON
Post #: 33
-30C. Sorted :)
Patrick C.
patcon
Toronto, ON
Post #: 7
Do we have a wiki somewhere where we can record all these learning for the wider community? (ie. like that we have it on good word that a consumer-grade fridge will suffice, etc)

If not, I suggest a hackpad: https://hackpad.com/...­
roberta b.
user 39448542
Toronto, ON
Post #: 27
We do have a domain, but we need to get access from the person who got it in the first place. in the meantime, is there anybody who wants to help me setting up a wiki? I can work on it, and then we can get hold of the domain later. but I think two or three people would get this running much faster. any helper?