addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DMV Intuitive Introverts Message Board › Fellow Introvert Artists?

Fellow Introvert Artists?

A former member
Post #: 4
Curious guys and gals: are any of you all artists? (And by that I mean anything from musician to basket weaver to painter to writer?) If so name your art! Do you make art for a living? A hobby? =)
Laura
user 14156184
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 5
Hi Laura!

Welcome to the group! I am an artist by hobby. I enjoy drawing and graphic design (logos, wedding monograms, web banners, postcards, etc). I am also a compulsive doodler ( you should see my notes during work meetings hahahaha).

I would also like to join a painting club in the area (pref Arlington/Alexandria), as I really miss painting (have not had time to really site down and paint).
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks! Hah! I was a compulsive doodler all through school... though it was only at the tale end of college that the notes gave way to 3/4 doodle ;) It didn't hurt that I was an art major... the professors seemed to understand.

As 'fantasy illustrator' is my day job, I find it hard to seek out more art to do in my free time (though I would like to get out my actual acrylic/oil paints sometime -I work primarily in digital media).

Lately, I have been getting a bit more into (fantasy) writing as well. Would love to write&illustrate my own children's fantasy stories someday =)

What about the rest of you? Any fellow doodlers? Painters? Writers?
Laura
user 14156184
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 7
Wow, I am jealous you get to do art as your day job :D. Do you have a portfolio to share? I really like fantasy and sci-fi art. I have been doing more stuff in digital media (mostly Photoshop and Illustrator). What tools do you use?

You should come to the next meet-up, it is on the site for this Sat. It's got kind of a 'fantasy' bent to it.
A former member
Post #: 8
The other way to look at it is that my art is my job.... Does take some of the fun out of it. That's why I try to balance client projects with personal ones! I use Photoshop and my XL Wacom Intuos4 for digital painting... I've been using a similar setup since 1998.

My portfolio is here: http://www.ldiehl.com...­ (though I am currently re-designing the site with something cleaner and easier to navigate, new one hopefully up soon)

Unfortunately, I already have plans for Sat.! I'm hoping that the next meetup will work for me.
Laura
user 14156184
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 9
Wow! Your stuff is amazing. I might need to pick your brain for some digital painting tips! My favorites are Golden Fish, Moss Dragon, and I like the Spaceman and Princess (very nice depic of INTJ/INFJ couple :p )

I use Photoshop and I have a Wacom Graphire... I did not get into digital painting til I was in college (around 2002). But I am not very good, unfortunately...
A former member
Post #: 10
Thanks! Feel free to pick my brains for tips... Those are some of my favorite pieces too =)

I definitely think, if you have the inclination, it just takes practice, practice, practice. You should have seen some of the first 'pieces' I painted on the computer >_<

Do you have any of your digital art stuff online to share? (If not, no worries, just curious....)
Laura
user 14156184
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 10
Some of my more recent stuff is displayed here at my blog: http://risingwiththem...­. I also have some more stuff at a Deviant Art account that has been neglected since 2007: http://hissylizard.de...­

I agree, practice makes perfect. I have really not had the chance to do some illustration (part laziness and part I have lately shifted focus to graphic and web design). I just love how you do your compositions and your background perspective.
A former member
Post #: 11
Neat art and design! Thanks for sharing. =)

I especially like the symbolic and imaginative qualities of your illustrations... I for one would love to see you develop them both further. I can only imagine what you would be able to convey with more practice/time. =)
Laura
user 14156184
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 11
You are welcome. *sigh* yeah, I wish I had more time. It's like I start wanting do some more tutorials so I can improve and/or work on personal stuff, but then I realize I need to work a project for a friend, and that takes priority.